Here's a few reasons AMD is not selling more CPU.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Quote:
"Intel has decided to postpone the debut of its new mainstream desktop PC platform, Lynnfield processors ..... Due to the global economic downturn driving down market demand, Intel expects the launch will allow more time for 4-series inventory to deplete."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090526PD212.html

It appears that Intel isnt selling so hot either, since this is the second series of cpus thats been delayed, along with Itanium.

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
All i know is i bought a couple thousand dollar's worth of AMD stock when it was a hair under 2$ a share while everyone was touting how i was throwing my money away and now look at there price $4+ dollars a share...yeah baby!

Back when the economy first started to tank, I caught tons of flak by saying the economy could be harder on Intel than AMD, by having to keep all those fabs going, by having to move those amounts of product, having all that overhead, including inventory.
Well, it appears the economy isnt being so nice to Intel.
Being smaller, AMD focuses on smaller markets, and lets its overall world market go ahead as before. No new ads, no new TV commercials etc. While Intel continues to have to spend on all this.
Slightly better, controlling markets thru overpricing Atom for netbooks etc isnt working, not in this climate, and it wont soon be forgotten either. i5 being slightly better than C2D wont cut it now. Crippling the low end on i5 wont be looked at as a reasonable alternative anymore. All these marketing things Intel has done in the past will have to change

No. AMD had 2 FABs. Now they have the GF. Intel has way way more than 4. They have 2 (for sure) or 3 (maybe) in Chandler, AZ alone. World wide Intel has like probably 15 FABs.

Plus their process i normally abkle to mature faster than AMDs and produces better yeilds faster. Chalk that up to experience.

AMD is doing just fine from my house. Intel is and always will be the darkside!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC04595ms.jpg

Thats great.... yet again with that pic.....

Funniest thing is I have seen a setup just like that one, exactally that was a Intel setup..... Speakers and everything...... was a while ago.....

While I don't agree (well I don't even know what the OP is talking about) with the OPs way i do know there is always more to the whole "Intel made us unable to get sales" line that AMD puts out there. Considering that AMD didn't have enough to supply a lot of OEMs and the channel it almost makes the rebate theory seem useless. I mean there have been plenty of articles during that time from plenty of OEM system builders who wanted to get AMD chips to make sales but were denied by AMD because either AMD had none left to give or AMD would prefer to get them to the higher end OEM system builders.

TBH, I think too much is left out of the whole thing.....

I think we need to see more photos of soldier's rig ... just for old times sake.

Perhaps a different angle.

fazers has suggested you hide the hand lotion bottle tho matey ...

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/13848/1/

i i yikes Phenom

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
The reason why they are selling more is because novice users don't know what AMD is so they go with what they know and they get Intel even if AMD offers a better product.
I had a pic of AMD's logo on my IM and people kept asking me what AMD was, the thing is they barely understand what Intel is except that it is written on almost all the computers that they see.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Ha Ha Ha.

Word, Playa.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
AMD needs to learn how to market and stop being more of a word of mouth about it's performance PERIOD. face it amd sucks are marketing their fanboys do most of the work. Hell when i see commercials about computers it's always an "intel inside" face it intel does the job of actually being a company.

Until AMD spends *** to push their product i can't say i give a jack when they don't sell.

Times i see Intel walking into a store like frys or best buy probably around 10-20 times, times i see amd maybe 1-5 if i got look at laptop section and they even carry a laptop with amd that has the sticker cuz the sticker is all imma get from them.

Well this is true.

But AMDs laptop lineup is quite small right now. They still don't have a K10 based laptop chip I am aware of and don't even have a quad for a laptop yet.

Maybe this year will fare better? I mean all the bad news about Intel and the fine is driving their stock pricee up.... sad they rely on bad news for Intel mroe than their own good news....