Here's a Good Reason Why Microsoft is Buying Nokia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
So basically Microsoft realizes people with money are already taken and will sell to poor people. I mean if it makes them money, I guess it works. Gotta sell a lot of $20 phones in the 3rd world to make any though.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Great so Microsoft is not "pivoting" to the third world? Disgraceful, though I supposed it's the only place where there are still respected, after Europes obscession with Internet Explorer and Clinton's monopoly prosecution.

Aug 15, 2013

If you make $5 on 1 billion sales you not only make $5 billion but when they move up in the world they'll likely stick with your products. Proctor&Gamble does the same thing with their charitable work and product donation in third world countries which is helping them build a relationship with future customers.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Meh... okay, 3rd world kind of understand it... like converting AppleII owners to Macintosh or C=64 to Amiga... but it may NOT work.

There is another problem, which China shows. In those 3rd world countries - to get a SmartPhone is lucky enough... but it doesn't feed the eco-system of a mobile platform (App store)... A typical iPhone user will spend $100 on apps and $1000+ on music. In China, nobody buys anything... or very little.

So the MS App store has little to buy with no customers to buy it. Makes sense now! :)

I thought the real reason for MS to buy our Nokia Mobile was to keep the ONLY WindowsPhone brand alive. Samsung and HTC were pretty much out (They didn't get paid to make WP phones like Nokia did) and as of now, they are out of the WP business. Just as the only one making an RT tablet is now Microsoft and they dropped the RT name off the product. (Bwahahahaha) Really, it would have made FAR more sense to have kept the Metro Name of the GUI since its NOT Windows anything.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
MS buy Nokia because Nokia is not the cell phone leader anymore (for a long while) and they are CHEAP to buy... A market loser buy another market loser.

Tony Crooks

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Slight problem is that MS do not own the Nokia trade mark or name and any new phones that MS deliver to market will be under the MS, probably Lumia, brand. Inspires confidence, doesn't it, given the track record of MS with mobile devices?

Bolts Romano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
1.3 billion still using Nokia, hmm a big number comes from the user in Asia or ME. These are the last generation user who will still use a non smartphone on their daily activity. Phones from China with similar feature or better than Nokia Asha already flood the market. What China need to do is to rename Huawei into something better than bye bye Nokia

joebakb

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've had multiple android phones and took a chance on the 920. It's the best phone that I've ever purchased. People need to try out a windows phone before they knock it, because I think they're in for a pleasant surprise. I think App developers will be catching up here soon too. I'm running through a bunch of tutorials on the WP SDK in Visual Studio and, man, does it look polished, intuitive and relatively easy to work with.

g-unit1111

Titan

I really like the interface of Windows Phone. I'm on Sprint and unfortunately they did not have any WP8 devices when I signed on. But now I'm heavily considering adding a line and getting the Samsung ATIV. It looks pretty sweet, I'd like to see it in action.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I gotta use VS-2012 for school, and it is the most horribly-designed, slow-as-dog, buggy POS I've ever had the misfortune of using. No, wait, I take that back. Windows ME was that. VS-2012 is second...

Andrejs Sosnovskis

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
wp8 is a nice balance between bloated chaos of android and nazi concentration camps of apple, getting lumia as soon as 625/925 is available on contract here

vibol03

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
i dont think half the people that comment here even use Windows Phones 8. They sound so ignorant of Nokia and Microsoft in the outside world

AliAliAli

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
@ Avus i have never known a person who talks as much rubbish as you do. how come MS is a market loser?? idiot MS is the only and very huge software company which is largest(by revenue,rank,market cap,industry) and worlds most valuable, let alone a company who transformed the world unbelievably and revolutionary. Every other company cant even come close to MS altogether. MS believed to be the,which everyone believe is only vendor that pushed the world very harder into modern information technology and that change even has a impact on stray dogs and cats or mosquitoes and flies around. So a person to say this is a person who is the most ignorant on this planet earth, who came into the world without brain.

AliAliAli

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
@ vibol03
YeahIi totally agree with you. A large number of people here are almost ignorant who dont know facts and have incomplete information or they are just busy in praising android and ios. They all forgot how nokia has changed everything, for the last 14 years nokia was the boss, the most number of record sales of many models. Nokia was always one step forward to introduce new devices with notable new feature in mobile technology. But unfortunately Nokia lost the battle there, with android. But it managed to make a comeback with lumia series. I hope now MS and Nokia joint venture would swallow all the market share and once again we see the era where Nokia is king like before and people are only desperately and excitingly waiting for Nokia phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.