hey!

G

I was just gonna buy 256mb PC2100 DDR ram from MIcron, and they go out of business! What gives? Will i still be able to buy this ram? Will it still be supported? I am really sad to see micron go because i trust them more than any other memory maker.

-pedro229

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MICRON TECHNOLOGY IS NOT OUT OF BUSINESS! If you read the article, it was not even the same company! "Micron Electonics, with a 60 percent ownership by chipmaker Micron Technology, will concentrate on Web-hosting services". The chipmaker still exist. LEARN TO READ!

Suicide is painless...........

G

Micron To Exit PC Business

Mar 23, 2001 (Tech Web - CMP via COMTEX) -- Five months after it saying it would stop manufacturing Intel-based servers, Micron Electronics Inc. is now set to exit the PC business altogether.
Instead, the company said it's increasing its focus on the hosting market, announcing Friday that its HostPro subsidiary will merge with Interland Inc. (stock: ILND) in a $130 million stock deal.

Interland posted revenues of $10.4 million in its most recent quarter. In fiscal second quarter results released Friday, Micron (stock: MUEI) reported $10 million in hosting revenues.

Micron, Boise, Idaho, management said it now expects the combined operations to post pro forma revenues of $160 million for the fiscal year 2002, ending Aug. 31, 2002, while realizing $20 million to $30 million in cost savings.

The combined company would be headquartered in Atlanta, with six data centers and 112,000 customers. The companies expect the merger to be completed this summer, pending approval.

The resulting hosting firm will focus on selling managed hosting services to midsize and small businesses, as well as value-added offerings, including e-mail, data transfer, and professional services, according to Micron.

In a statement, Micron Electronics chairman and CEO Joel Kocher said, "Hosting will serve as the foundation for many opportunities as small and midsize enterprises increasingly outsource IT."

He also said that the company is divesting its MicronPC.com unit because of "the recent drastic downturn in the economy and the PC industry."

Earlier this week, U.S. Bancorp Piper Jaffray analyst Ashok Kumar predicted that the PC industry this year will suffer its first ever year-over-year sales decline.

Micron said it has signed a non-binding letter of intent to sell MicronPC.com to an unspecified equity investment firm, which would continue to operate the unit as an ongoing business if the deal is completed.

The company and its subsidiaries posted revenues of $1.6 billion in fiscal 2000.

Micron Electronics also said Friday that it will sell its memory services unit SpecTek to sister company Micron Technology Inc. (stock: MU), fulfilling an earlier agreement.

Says Daniel Briere, CEO of telecom consulting firm TeleChoice, "They will face tremendous competition because of the sheer number of players, the industry's loss of much dot-com and ASP business, and the fact that many players are spending huge amounts of money to build data centers and have to start recouping their investments."

Copyright (C) 2001 CMP Media Inc.

<b><i>"Bad advice is expensive, Good advice is priceless"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
yah, yah, like I said, not even the same company-like your article said, SISTER companies, try not to present too much information as you will confuse those who read at a lower level of comprehension. Micron Technolgy is still in business, Micron Electronics is gone, so Micron Technology continues to make RAM. Period.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Crashman you weren't suggesting I don't know how to read were you? I hope you just meant, go read the &ucking article before you post! Now that I read the article I can see clearly now :) Lighten up bud we just like you feedback :D

A revision to mpjesse's signature;
"My Signature Sucks"

G

I figured those who were interested could read it and those who weren't could scroll past. I know how much everyone on here loves crucial memory and I hate to see them get their panties in a knot unnecessarily.

<b><i>"Bad advice is expensive, Good advice is priceless"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry about that "learn to read" insult, as for my other comment that some people read at a low comprehension level, it was not aimed at you, but at anyone else reading that long section posted by trosen who might not understand it. It seems the best way to squash a rumor is brutal truth, the more brutal, the more effective, and many newbies would believe a rumor like that rather than read the truth, which could cause them to substitute an inferior product, not knowing details about other brands.