Question My CPU gets abnormally hot ?

LarryAtona56

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2017
Hello,

I have a quick question, this might be normal for this processor, but this isn't something I normally see.

So long story short, I just installed a i7 7700k to my build (I know, old, but it words great for 1080, 1440 gaming), previously I had the i7 7600k and it would normally run around 30-35*C idle, now the newest cpu is running at around 40-50*C idle with the same hardware, it is also randomly spiking from 40 to 60 and back to 40 in about 1-2 secs, I don't know if this might a contact issue with my cooler or if that's just how this processor normally runs.

These are my current specs, so you can have an idea and help me with this, it might be a voltage thing too, so I'll post how my motherboard BIOS currently looks, maybe there is something else I can change there.

Build:

GTX 1080 Ti 8GB
i7 7700k (not overclocked since I think my mobo doesn't have that function)
MSI 250M Mortar (latest bios)
Samsung EVO 980 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo
16 GB ram 4x4 sticks, at 2400 (old too)

Now, I know this is build is super old, but it still packs a punch for my particular needs, light gaming, light editing and working, so no setbacks, it's just the temperature that is bothering me, could it be that the cooler is too weak for this CPU? Would a water cooler be better? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://ibb.co/zVv0Rjg
https://ibb.co/pvt3qGG
https://ibb.co/p4TDDnD

Thanks in advance!

LarryAtona56

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2017
Hello,

Just a quick question, I am not that savvy with motherboard nowadays, so I am not sure which liquid cooler would be compatible with mine.

I have the MSI 250M Mortar Mobo with an i7 7700K not overclocked (old af I know) and I am trying to lower the temperatures of the CPU, from what I've seen the i7 7700k runs hotter than other cpus, so I'd like a better cooler, I currently have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo, but I'd like an upgrade.

I was looking at the Kraken 120mm or 240 or whichever one is compatible with my board, since those coolers have RGB pins and I don't think my mobo has any of those...

I'd appreciate all the possible help, thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
If you intend to go with an AIO, look at a 240mm one at the very least. 120mm AIO are for space constrained cases or for low TDP CPU's. Your i7 has a lot more cores and threads when compare to the i5 you had prior, so it will run hotter.

Make and model of your case?

LarryAtona56

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2017
If you intend to go with an AIO, look at a 240mm one at the very least. 120mm AIO are for space constrained cases or for low TDP CPU's. Your i7 has a lot more cores and threads when compare to the i5 you had prior, so it will run hotter.

Make and model of your case?
NZXT h510i, got any coolers that would be compatible with my board?

The 7700K is just 300 - 400 MHz higher in base and Turbo frequencies, and other than that is the same processor. If you're seeing an extra 10 - 15°C I think there's something wrong somewhere.

I'd suggest running some kind of hardware monitor to see if it's as idle as you think it is. Also check the fan performance, in case the CMOS/BIOS stuff has changed that somewhere. Even make sure the fan is spinning, in case it's something silly like you forgot to connect it.

You reapplied the thermal paste, but did that include cleaning off all the old paste from the base of the cooler first?

Nothing wrong with the temp behavior listed; certainly if/when the CPU boosts a single core to 4.5 GHz, or all cores to 4.2 GHz, core temps will most certainly hit in the 60C range... (it's not as if the Hyper212 is a Noctua NH-D15, not should one expect temps from same from lesser coolers.)