HHD to SSD Clone - Rookie Error

Feb 6, 2019
To improve performance I was recommended to switch my hard drive to SSD. I have a 6~ year old Lenovo G570.
So I bought a Samsung 850 500GB SSD and although I'm absolutely a novice I decided I could sort everything myself...

So using a usb>SATA cable & the Samsung software I moved everything over to the SSD. I then removed my old HD and fitted the SSD into my laptop.

I incorrectly assumed it would clone my C: and D: drives but it did not. I stored a lot of files/folders & programs on my D: drive.
So, I connected my old HD using the usb>SATA cable and just simply copy & pasted everything over from the d: drive, hoping that would sort it.

So, now, I do have all my files & programs but of course all the locations are messed up. And I assume there are many other issues with this.
One example issue is that it keeps stating that my desktop cannot be found (as it was on the d: drive). It's there but obviously not linked.
More importantly, with Microsoft Word, when I try to open it it states:"The Office Open XML file Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents".
It does then open but when, within Word, I click 'Open' it states there's insufficient memory.

Is this an issue that anyone has come across before and is there a somewhat simple fix? Or am I going to have to pretty much start over?

Many thanks.