Question HHHEEELLLPPP

Feb 28, 2019
This never happened to me EVER before.. NEW build when installing win7 .. I get to the first install page where you pick English ect ect and soon at that starts I loose my keyboard and cant start the install. I tried changing usb ports and even tried the ps/2 port with an older keyboard// anyone help me with this strange problem ?

Go into the BIOS and enable legacy USB device support. Might be called something different depending on the board model and generation, but there should be setting in there somewhere that relates specifically to this. Also make sure that you have normal settings, at least for now, for fast boot and compatibility support module is set to on.

Knowing the model numbers of your hardware, would be helpful.

Feb 28, 2019
New Asus Prime X470-pr0 motherboard - windows pro 64

I prefer win 7 over 10

Go into the BIOS and enable legacy USB device support. Might be called something different depending on the board model and generation, but there should be setting in there somewhere that relates specifically to this. Also make sure that you have normal settings, at least for now, for fast boot and compatibility support module is set to on.

Knowing the model numbers of your hardware, would be helpful.

So, on the boot menu, make sure that CSM is ENABLED in the BIOS.

Under "onboard devices configuration" make sure that USB single port controls are enabled for all USB ports.

Also, it would be a good idea to make sure that you have the LATEST BIOS version installed if you don't currently already have it.

And if none of that helps, then I'd recommend trying to do a hard reset of the BIOS, WITH all the hardware attached so it configures the hardware tables for the actual connected hardware.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

You may also have to slipstream the required USB drivers into your Windows 7 installation or otherwise provide them to the system. Your motherboard USB ports may simply NOT be supported by Windows 7 since Windows 7 is not officially supported on any Ryzen or Intel system since the last gen or so. That is probably why it's losing control, because at some point the built in motherboard hard coded driver support is letting off and the Windows OS is taking control, but does not have the necessary support for those USB ports baked in, so you have to provide it for it.

Regardless that you dislike Windows 10, it's ten times better in terms of driver support for all modern hardware, memory management and tons of other features. If you dislike the way it looks, you can simply use Classic shell to give it the Windows 7 start menu and taskbar appearance as well as the older style shell behavior. Support for Windows 7 will stop COMPLETELY this coming January, so you're going to have to change no matter what at some point. Might as well do it now while the free upgrade is still on the table. Later down the road, you'll almost certainly be required to pay for it.

Feb 28, 2019
Keyboard now working but NOW lost mouse,,, but I did get windows installed .. Mouse works in bios but not in windows... just not my day but keyboard on ps/2 guess I will get win 10 .. less problems .. my first amd build.. been intel for years . switched to AMD as I heard all good things about Ryzen

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not a Ryzen issue though, it's just that the board manufacturers and Intel/AMD want everybody on Windows 10 so they don't have to support multiple versions of totally incompatible driver frameworks, and Microshaft wants everybody on it so they don't have to continue to expend resources on having to support three or four different operating systems and all the drivers for all the possible hardware configurations. Hard enough to do for just one operating system, much less a bunch of outdated ones.

Now that you have windows working, you need to go here:

Then select Windows 7 as the OS type, and then download the applicable drivers for chipset, audio controller, storage controllers and network adapters, as well as the USB drivers, and install them. As I mentioned before, updating the BIOS is pretty much mandatory on Ryzen boards if you want everything to work, so make sure you have the most recent version of the BIOS firmware installed. It's particularly important for memory support, but it affects other areas as well.

Feb 28, 2019
Asus offers the Utility for Windows 7:
ASUS EZ Installer
Use this tool V1.03.21 to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded
Yeah, it's not a Ryzen issue though, it's just that the board manufacturers and Intel/AMD want everybody on Windows 10 so they don't have to support multiple versions of totally incompatible driver frameworks, and Microshaft wants everybody on it so they don't have to continue to expend resources on having to support three or four different operating systems and all the drivers for all the possible hardware configurations. Hard enough to do for just one operating system, much less a bunch of outdated ones.

Then select Windows 7 as the OS type, and then download the applicable drivers for chipset, audio controller, storage controllers and network adapters, as well as the USB drivers, and install them. As I mentioned before, updating the BIOS is pretty much mandatory on Ryzen boards if you want everything to work, so make sure you have the most recent version of the BIOS firmware installed. It's particularly important for memory support, but it affects other areas as well.

Feb 28, 2019

Feb 28, 2019
Thanks for all the help , Since you told me win7 was a about to be dead. I just went and got 10 to get it over with Install was smooth and all my troubles disappeared . Just don't like that layout of 10. Just old and set in my ways LOL. Thanks everyone for all the info. Didn't even know you cant get cds of windows any longer.. a pen drive now . Everyone enjoy the weekend. I will be re-installing programs , HOPEFULLY with no more problems

I don't like the layout either, which is why I use Windows 10 but I use Classic shell with it. My start menu, desktop and entire visual configuration look pretty much just like Windows 7 with a few features from 8.1. You can make it just like Windows 7 was, but have all the modern driver and application support of Windows 10 in the background. It's free, and it works. It has a very low resource usage and honestly I install it on pretty much every system I install Windows 10 on.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure you associate your Windows 10 product key/digital entitlement to a Microsoft account that's attached to YOU. That way, later on if you have to reinstall, or you upgrade to a new platform or even get an entirely different system, you don't need to buy another license. It will just move with you and automatically activate as soon as you log in to the Microsoft account during the installation. And if it doesn't, because rarely there are discrepancies, so long as it's attached to an MS account in your name you can just plug your original Windows 7 product key back in to the activation window and poof, done. So don't lose your Windows 7 product key either.