[SOLVED] Hi, CPU i5-4670k

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hello, I currently have an i3-4170 , and win 7ultimate sp2 installed, and stumbled upon a i5-4670k I had, which matches the motherboard and is ok according to manufacturers compatibility. Should I pop it in?? i dont mind reinstalling Windows, will I be ok?

Solution
That depends on whether or not you have a CPU cooler that is capable enough to support the TDP (Thermal design power) of that 4670k. There is roughly a 30w difference between those CPUs and that isn't factoring in the idea that Intel's TDP is based on base clock speeds, not boost speeds, which can greatly increase the TDP. If you have the stock cooler only, that the i3 came with, then I would not use the 4670k until you have a better cooler.

And you should not need to reinstall Windows because both those CPUs (Plus the fact that you're not changing motherboards to one with a different chipset) have the same chipset and therefore the same drivers. Not necessary.
That depends on whether or not you have a CPU cooler that is capable enough to support the TDP (Thermal design power) of that 4670k. There is roughly a 30w difference between those CPUs and that isn't factoring in the idea that Intel's TDP is based on base clock speeds, not boost speeds, which can greatly increase the TDP. If you have the stock cooler only, that the i3 came with, then I would not use the 4670k until you have a better cooler.

And you should not need to reinstall Windows because both those CPUs (Plus the fact that you're not changing motherboards to one with a different chipset) have the same chipset and therefore the same drivers. Not necessary.

Solution

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

ok , very nice,

i have noticed the difference in the TDP, any idea how to find out what akasa cooler i have? i dont remember, shall i attach a picture MAYBE helps? i THINK its the akasa K32 for which its up to 95W,, will this cooler be sufficient??????

thanks,

Last edited:
As long as you don't mind the cooler fan running faster if it's a 54w tdp cooler, it will still cool the 4670k. I use 65w coolers with 95w processors all the time--just have to run the fan 100% and you're fine. If this is an issue, you'll quickly find out as the fan will be running hard to keep it cool.

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

hi heres the pics of the cooler , should be the akasa K32

OPrBpi1.jpg

q8hvQ99.jpg

Last edited:
Windows doesn't care what CPU is installed. It only cares about the motherboard. ANY CPU that can be used on a given motherboard will use the same drivers and Windows does not discern a change of computer when swapping CPUs, only motherboards. The motherboard on the other hand, could have an entirely different chipset, different storage controllers, different audio chipset, different network adapters and is KNOWN to cause problems when changing from one chipset to another even if it supports the same processors. So when changing motherboards, especially if changing to a different model or different chipset, it is usually either recommended OR necessary to reinstall Windows.

And, so long as you associate your Windows license with a Microsoft account, which you can do by following the instructions below, it wouldn't matter even if you changed motherboards, either.

That Akasa CPU cooler is likely LESS capable than the stock cooler that comes on the i5-4670 non-K SKU, which itself shows to be the same 84w as the K SKU, without, obviously, the ability to overclock. It will probably "work" but it will "work" poorly, it will probably NOT keep you from overheating past the recommended thermal specification of 80°C during boost conditions and it is going to be loud and annoying.

I'd highly recommend getting a better cooler and right now the best low cost budget aftermarket model is probably the same as the normally available one, which is the Gammaxx 400. This would also not require you to install a different backplate as it is a push pin design the same as the stock cooler and your current one, but has the benefit of a much larger 4 heat pipe heatsink. It outperforms the Hyper 212 EVO, so it's performance is proven.

Other models worth considering are the Arctic eSports duo and the Thermalright True Spirit direct 140. All of which should be available for less than fifty bucks, with the Gammaxx 400 being around 30 bucks right now which is about five to ten bucks more than it normally goes for but is to be expected with current market conditions.

Last edited: