Hi. I have the same problem. When plugging in my passport ultra, it makes the sound and there is a button to eject it, but it

Matthew Lee

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
Hi. I have the same problem. When plugging in my passport ultra, it makes the sound and there is a button to eject it, but it worked before. Can someone please help me? Note I'm using windows 10 64-bit. PC custom built with gigabyte motherboard.

Thank you in advance,
Matthew Lee

Solution
Welcome to the TH community, @Matthew Lee!

I'm sorry to hear about your detection issues with the WD My Passport external drive. I'd recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and see how and if the drive is detected there. Another thing you should try is swapping the USB cable and the USB port where you connect the external. If you have access to another PC/laptop (Windows-based), I'd suggest you check how the HDD would get detected there as well.

If you are able to see the HDD in Disk Management, I believe that Changing the drive letter assignment from there might actually fix your problem.

Make sure you backup all your data somewhere else as well, as soon as you can access it! Having only one copy...
Welcome to the TH community, @Matthew Lee!

I'm sorry to hear about your detection issues with the WD My Passport external drive. I'd recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and see how and if the drive is detected there. Another thing you should try is swapping the USB cable and the USB port where you connect the external. If you have access to another PC/laptop (Windows-based), I'd suggest you check how the HDD would get detected there as well.

If you are able to see the HDD in Disk Management, I believe that Changing the drive letter assignment from there might actually fix your problem.

Make sure you backup all your data somewhere else as well, as soon as you can access it! Having only one copy of your files is not a backup solution!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution