Question Hi, i know i've asked this question before , but i need your help

You are going to have to be more detailed in your question but your question would be very similar to can I use a pcie card instead of a cable modem. I have never seen such a device.

Now maybe there is a device like that but in addition to it technically working it must be fully compatible and even more important supported by the ISP. Part of the reason cable modem and ONT have restricted lists of supported units is the ISP is responsible for all firmware updates.
This both ensure that the device is always compatible with the ISP equipment as well as provides the security. Most cable and fiber networks depend on something like a mac address on the device that must be registered otherwise if any device is allowed then you could use the system without paying for it by tapping into the line.

So even if a PCIE card exists I doubt a ISP will let you use it. On internal cards all the software is loaded via drivers loaded by the OS. You not the ISP would be in control of this software which might not say work if they needed to push a patch out on a particular day. In addition it likely would allow you to hack thing like the mac address which would bypass their security.

I suspect it not so much a technical question since a device might exist to be used on a private fiber network but more if you found such a device would the ISP even let you use it.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
thanks to you bill and air force pilot both .

i asked and apparently i can only install Zyxel brand , ONT's and SFP modules so i can apparently and hypothetically buy Zyxel spf modules and install them on a pci e card.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
i found an alternative , a 20 meters APC patch cord and a half a meter , CAT8 network cable . essentially bringing the modem / ONT close to my computer . this was the result :

with alternate DNS servers , with the original DNS it reaches 400+

tanoma-speed-2.jpg

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
the ONT is what changes the light signals of fiber optics into the electrical signals used by ethernet and coax.

so you can't bypass it in any way. you need it in some form or other to be able to use the signal coming in.

Hello , thank you

the ISP guy told me , i could use an Zyxel branded SPF+ module , that supports GPON ? ? ? but apparently my mikrotik router does not support GPON >?

what i did was to bring the ONT closer to my computer using this 20 meters APC patch cord ...

IMG-20230327-143837-1.jpg

essentially adding 20 meters to the optical cord and cutting from the electrical wire instead

instead of using this CAT7 orico chinese cable ,

IMG-20230330-113944-1-1.jpg

now i'm using this CAT8 UGREEN , chinese cable :

IMG-20230329-120644-1.jpg

the result is this , on bridge mode of course ,

ooj-1.jpg

now i can open Youtube with nearly 80 percent the speed of light , and listen metallica

cheers

dutch

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
This is my Mikrotik router which the people at mikrotik forum say doesn't support , GPON supporting modules . that's what you get when you buy from the ussr .

IMG-20230331-083755-1.jpg

this is where the module goes : What i'm guessing is that it has to be an SFP+ Plus for it to support GPON networks too .

IMG-20230331-083805-1.jpg

it also features a complete FAKE WAN port on the back too ! look !

IMG-20230331-083815-1.jpg

i would be glad if Bill could help .

it is apparently very popular in the Holy Lands , But still Netgear , Linksys and Cisco are better !

but i can't buy

like a 4090

glad if i can contribute

cheers

dutch

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
my original question was if i can for instance buy , an Asus , branded Pcie card that also supports , SFP Plus ; from amazon . and Connect the optical cord directly , to the motherboard . that would be so cool .

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Nothing can replace the processing power of your own CPU, so if you put the ONT (modem) on the Bridge mode , and make a connection on the Windows 11 , you'd get the most out of it ....

ooj-1.jpg

There is of course a drop in your Rx value when you use long cables .

drop-1.jpg

But it is still worth it ,

bridge-1-f.jpg

Last edited: