Hide file types

Is there a way, in group policy or otherwise, to automatically set all
clients to NOT hide the file types? This causes me as an admin trying to
support applications and users endless grief. I am convinced whoever
implemented it had a good long laugh while people sit there and try to
decipher file types by the little abstract icons of gears or folders next to
their files.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting!

From your previous message, I know that you want to prevent all clients to
from hidding the file types.

Tim, based on my research, the data of the below registry key will be set
to 0x0 if we disable "Hide extensions for known file types".

- the "HideFileExt" registry value under the registry key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc
ed"
- the "SuperHidden" registry value under the registry key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc
ed"

So, please go to Folder Options to set your preference settings, and then
open REGEDIT to export the registry key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc
ed" as an REG file.

To distribute the REG file, you can put the REG file on a network share and
direct users to the network share to run it, or you can add a command to
the users' logon scripts to automatically import the .reg file when they
log on.
When users run the .reg file, they receive the following messages:

Registry Editor
Are you sure you want to add the information in <path of .reg file> to the
registry?

If the user clicks "Yes", the user receives the following message:

Registry Editor
Information in path of .reg file has been successfully entered into the
registry.

Regedit.exe supports a /s command-line switch to not display these
messages. For example, to silently run the .reg file (with the /s switch)
from a login script batch file, use the following syntax:

"regedit.exe /s <path of .reg file>" (without the quotation marks)

You can also use Group Policy or System Policy to distribute registry
changes across your network. For additional information, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnw2kmag01/html/DistributingRegistry
Changes.asp

Note If the changes work, you can send the registration file to the
appropriate users on the network.

I hope that the above information is helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Perfect, thank you!

Tim

"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Tim,
>
> Thank you for posting!
>
> From your previous message, I know that you want to prevent all clients to
> from hidding the file types.
>
> Tim, based on my research, the data of the below registry key will be set
> to 0x0 if we disable "Hide extensions for known file types".
>
> - the "HideFileExt" registry value under the registry key

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc
> ed"
> - the "SuperHidden" registry value under the registry key

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc
> ed"
>
> So, please go to Folder Options to set your preference settings, and then
> open REGEDIT to export the registry key

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanc
> ed" as an REG file.
>
> To distribute the REG file, you can put the REG file on a network share
and
> direct users to the network share to run it, or you can add a command to
> the users' logon scripts to automatically import the .reg file when they
> log on.
> When users run the .reg file, they receive the following messages:
>
> Registry Editor
> Are you sure you want to add the information in <path of .reg file> to the
> registry?
>
> If the user clicks "Yes", the user receives the following message:
>
> Registry Editor
> Information in path of .reg file has been successfully entered into the
> registry.
>
> Regedit.exe supports a /s command-line switch to not display these
> messages. For example, to silently run the .reg file (with the /s switch)
> from a login script batch file, use the following syntax:
>
> "regedit.exe /s <path of .reg file>" (without the quotation marks)
>
> You can also use Group Policy or System Policy to distribute registry
> changes across your network. For additional information, visit the
> following Microsoft Web site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnw2kmag01/html/DistributingRegistry
> Changes.asp
>
> Note If the changes work, you can send the registration file to the
> appropriate users on the network.
>
> I hope that the above information is helpful.
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.

Hi Tim,

You are welcome! I'm glad that the information is helpful. If you have any
questions in the future, please don't hesitate to post in the newsgroup.
Have a great day!