Question High average PC latency, a reboot fixes it but only for a while ?

May 27, 2023
Hi guys,
so i have an issue i cannot find a permanent fix for.

In all games i play i have an average of 20ms Average PC Latency on the nvidia overlay, but if i restart my PC, it gets down to about 8ms average pc latency and games feel soo much smoother and responsive especially FPS games, but after 3-4 hours of playing it magically ticks back to 20+ average PC latency.
i cannot figure this out so any help would be much appreciated.

Also to note: if i boot my pc, restart it then play for an hour, turn it off come back later and boot it normally i still have like an hour or 2 of playing at 8ms Avg pc latency then it ticks back to 20+ latency.

it’s like something ticks over after 3-4 hours of use to switch it back to high latency.

windows 10 latest update,
latest bios update.
latest nvidia drivers.
same thing has happened on older gpu drivers
i9 9900k
z390 msi tomahawk
rtx 4070ti
32gb ram 3600
850 gold psu

Last edited:
How are you measuring the latency ?
Is it only games? I.e. Can you show bad vs. ok latency by a non-gaming service such as speedometer.net or similar ?

Does this also affect the data transfer speed (ping) between other computers in your network (if any) ?

Are other computers in the network also affected by this issue (i.e. router or isp issue) ?

What kind of local network? Could it be that other members of the household tend to use same internet connection while you gaming?

May 27, 2023
How are you measuring the latency ?
Is it only games? I.e. Can you show bad vs. ok latency by a non-gaming service such as speedometer.net or similar ?

Does this also affect the data transfer speed (ping) between other computers in your network (if any) ?

Are other computers in the network also affected by this issue (i.e. router or isp issue) ?

What kind of local network? Could it be that other members of the household tend to use same internet connection while you gaming?
In the nvidia geforce app there is an overlay you can put to show your average PC latency, it’s not a net issue

it’s to do with actual pc latency, like system latency
my ping in regards to net is mint, get 3ms ping to servers in my country

A common "fix" I see is to force the system into a constantly high power state, so doing things like disable C-states in BIOS, use the "Ultimate Power" plan in Windows, etc. However, I feel like these are bandage fixes at best. It's something to try though.

You could also try what's described here: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/t...atency-issues-with-nvidia-drivers-on-windows/. It's basically using a tool to make the affinity of the graphics driver different from the audio one.

If it's doable, I would also see if resetting UEFI settings to default (except memory speed of course) and using a re-install of Windows shows it has no latency issues.

May 27, 2023
In the nvidia geforce app there is an overlay you can put to show your average PC latency, it’s not a net issue

it’s to do with actual pc latency, like system latency
A common "fix" I see is to force the system into a constantly high power state, so doing things like disable C-states in BIOS, use the "Ultimate Power" plan in Windows, etc. However, I feel like these are bandage fixes at best. It's something to try though.

You could also try what's described here: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/t...atency-issues-with-nvidia-drivers-on-windows/. It's basically using a tool to make the affinity of the graphics driver different from the audio one.

If it's doable, I would also see if resetting UEFI settings to default (except memory speed of course) and using a re-install of Windows shows it has no latency issues.
I have tried resetting & updating bios, using max power plan, turned c states off. nothing really worked

i might try reinstall windows or try that above^