Question High CPU and GPU temps on Alienware M15 OLED Laptop. How to lower?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Link to my laptop (review) below: https://uk.pcmag.com/netbooks/121398/alienware-m15-2019-oled
I've been running this laptop for a while now and have somewhat lowered Hybrid Drive response speeds so it is faster at processing even when running games. I keep finding a big issue though of my CPU fans seemingly not being powerful enough as my CPU quickly hits 100 degrees (which is apparently fine for my PC) but over time the temps remain the same and my GPU fan just cannot compensate enough to keep cool so my system either crashes or auto shuts down or I need to force a shutdown so my PC can cool off idling.

I do have my laptop mounted on a fan deck which is supposed to blow cool air into the lower fans however I have tried with it both on and off but no difference has come in time before crash or temperatures.

When idle my GPU runs at around 40 degrees and my CPU around 50 degrees.

I have noted that over time the speed my CPU runs at has slowly decreased but not notably when gaming (from about 3.7Ghz to 3.5Ghz) and when doing "regular" tasks there has been no difference (constant at 3.9Ghz avg) and my Hybrid Drives response speed has been notably a lot faster.

The only "strange" difference is that despite making no changes to what I run background or component changes RAM usage has for some reason been slowly recorded as being lower.

Any possible fixes or tips?

Lutfij

Titan
Did you try disassembling the laptop and seeing if the vents as well as the fans have been clogged up with dust/debris? Mechanically cooling anything causes dust and debris to be pushed into corners or crevices, which in turn impede heat dissipation.

You might want to also get back to us with the OS you're working with. If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? Furthermore, have you checked to see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates? By Hybrid Drives, are you referring to having an SSHD? The laptop should be coming with an M.2 SSD. Can you bring up Device Manager and see what your storage drives listed are showing up as?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
I'm working on Windows 11 latest. I have noticed that under Alienware Update there were 2 Critical updates and a few recommendeds. I don't dissasemble my laptops since I don't really know much about putting PCs together so I'm "staying safe" about it. I do mean an SSHD (5400 rpm) Seagate Firecuda 2.5"
Will update with Device Manager soon (currently undergoing updates)