[SOLVED] High CPU temperature

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
I was running CPUID while running a Cinebench and the max turned out to be 87~89 C for one of the cores and the rest of the cores were in the mid 70s.

I think I should get a new CPU cooler.

Which one is better?
Arctic Alpine 12 CO or Antec A30?

CPU: Intel i5 4690
Currently I’m using an Arctic 11 GT Rev.2

Solution
Well, the Antec A30 is better than those others, but to be completely honest, none of them is very good and certainly none of them are even all that much better (IF at all) than the stock cooler it came with.

If you want something decent on the entry level side of things, try to find the Deepcool Gammaxx 400, Be Quiet shadow rock slim, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Or any of the Hyper 212 coolers), Arctic 34 or 34 eSports or 34 eSports duo, Noctua NH-U12S, Thermalright true spirit direct 140, Cryorig H7 or H5, Phanteks PH-TC12DX or PH-TC14S, or just about any of the 120mm Scythe tower cooler models.

What you WANT to see is at least three, and preferably four or more heat pipes on the cooler along with a halfway decent heatsink fin and...
Well, the Antec A30 is better than those others, but to be completely honest, none of them is very good and certainly none of them are even all that much better (IF at all) than the stock cooler it came with.

If you want something decent on the entry level side of things, try to find the Deepcool Gammaxx 400, Be Quiet shadow rock slim, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Or any of the Hyper 212 coolers), Arctic 34 or 34 eSports or 34 eSports duo, Noctua NH-U12S, Thermalright true spirit direct 140, Cryorig H7 or H5, Phanteks PH-TC12DX or PH-TC14S, or just about any of the 120mm Scythe tower cooler models.

What you WANT to see is at least three, and preferably four or more heat pipes on the cooler along with a halfway decent heatsink fin and fan design. Primarily though, the heat pipes are going to tell the tale. If there are less than four, the cooler is probably not going to be a terrific performer. And by "four" that means four ACTUAL pipes, that run from one side to the other so that there are 8 ends soldered off at the top of the heat sink. The Antec A30 for example is only a 2 heat pipe cooler.

If you have three cores in the 70's and one core in the high 80's, then it might not be specifically the cooler though. It might be internal on the CPU but MOST likely it might be due to the thermal paste job and you may need to remove all the existing thermal paste using a plastic scraper to gently lift off the thickest parts and then isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth or paper coffee filter to remove the remainder of the thermal paste and then reapply a fresh dollop of thermal paste about the size of half of a #2 pencil eraser dead center on the CPU.

I recommend Thermal grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H1 or H2, Arctic MX-4, Cryorig Cryopaste or even Arctic Silver 5.

Reactions: XSR
Solution
And did you have the same thermal issues before you applied the new paste?

It seems pretty likely that you may have simply botched the paste job, although you'll get no argument from me that the cooler you are using isn't up to the job, and that's just a fact.

If you can get any of the coolers I listed or any half decent 120 or 140mm three or more heatpipe cooler, it wouldn't be the worst idea ever.