[SOLVED] High CPU temperatures after repasting THRICE GE65 RAIDER 9SE

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Hi! Over the past year, I have repasted my MSI GE65 Raider 9SE THREE times due to bad CPU temperatures but they still go above 95-100 degrees.
Specs are: i7-9750H, RTX 2060, 32 GB RAM

I have tried different repasting methods; the dot method, the line method, have also applied it less and more but to no avail.

The weird thing is: right after repasting, for 3-4 hours, the temperatures go down to 70-80 degrees on FULL LOAD and the CPU boosts up to 4 Ghz. But after a couple of hours, or a day, the temperatures go back right up to 95-100 and the CPU throttles back to 3.4Ghz or even lower.

I have also applied an undervolt of -0.144 but it doesn't affect the temperatures even minutely.

Is there anything else I can do?

I'm thinking of repasting it again.

I have used Mx-14 and Arctic silver 5.

The GPU temperatures are always low whenever I repaste, its just the CPU that is causing problems.

Solution
Hello Asbaat what about that solution with lovering turbo ratio core limit that you have found out few months ago( Throttlestop) .I've got the same spec laptop 2 days ago and in CODW im hitting 99 deg cels.Ive noticed that when i disable turbo boost it stays on 80 maximum.Now i will try to adjust to get max perf with low temp from the cpu.Tell me please how did it go with your setup i presume not so great if you are still facing the same issue.2 years a go i had msi gt73 with gtx 1070 with no throttling issue.Im starting to regred with haking that ge65.
Oh hello! It really pains me to see that MSI, which is apparently such a great gaming company has done a poor cooling job in their laptops. Over the years I have performed...

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Maybe a stupid thought but make sure the heatsink is not bent and tightly secured to the cpu. I deal used laptops and had a problem with an Asus GL503 - even after repasting with MX-4 and undervolting the laptop the temps were hitting 98-100 with huge cpu throttling (7700HQ). I then tried to repaste it with Kryonaut and when i disassembled i have noticed that there were no thermal paste marks on the heatsink on the cpu side and a lot of paste on the gpu. I did bend the heatsink more to the cpu side and when i repasted the temps never got above 81c. Might not be the case for you, but just a thought.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Maybe a stupid thought but make sure the heatsink is not bent and tightly secured to the cpu. I deal used laptops and had a problem with an Asus GL503 - even after repasting with MX-4 and undervolting the laptop the temps were hitting 98-100 with huge cpu throttling (7700HQ). I then tried to repaste it with Kryonaut and when i disassembled i have noticed that there were no thermal paste marks on the heatsink on the cpu side and a lot of paste on the gpu. I did bend the heatsink more to the cpu side and when i repasted the temps never got above 81c. Might not be the case for you, but just a thought.
Thank you very much for the reply. Every time I re-applied the thermal paste. I observed that the paste was perfectly spread across the CPU so I think that is not the issue. However, a guy told me on reddit that he had the same problem which got solved after changing the thermal pads on the VRMs. I'm gonna try that

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Well the thermal paste was perfectly spread in the GL503 as well, but the problem was that the heatsink on the cpu side was not tightly secured and was not touching the cpu die, therefore i tried to slightly bend the heatsink on that side. I had another model similar to yours- the Alienware m17 with rtx 2060 and no matter what thermal paste i changed, i even repasted it with liquid metal, the temps were still hitting 100. I didnt try the thermal pads though. Let me know if you have any luck in doing that.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Well the thermal paste was perfectly spread in the GL503 as well, but the problem was that the heatsink on the cpu side was not tightly secured and was not touching the cpu die, therefore i tried to slightly bend the heatsink on that side. I had another model similar to yours- the Alienware m17 with rtx 2060 and no matter what thermal paste i changed, i even repasted it with liquid metal, the temps were still hitting 100. I didnt try the thermal pads though. Let me know if you have any luck in doing that.
Oh! Thank you! I'll surely keep that heatsink thing in mind next time I repaste. My thermal pads will be delivered next week so I'll update you on that :)
Best regards,
Asbaat

Aug 9, 2020
Oh! Thank you! I'll surely keep that heatsink thing in mind next time I repaste. My thermal pads will be delivered next week so I'll update you on that :)
Best regards,
Asbaat
Hello Asbaat what about that solution with lovering turbo ratio core limit that you have found out few months ago( Throttlestop) .I've got the same spec laptop 2 days ago and in CODW im hitting 99 deg cels.Ive noticed that when i disable turbo boost it stays on 80 maximum.Now i will try to adjust to get max perf with low temp from the cpu.Tell me please how did it go with your setup i presume not so great if you are still facing the same issue.2 years a go i had msi gt73 with gtx 1070 with no throttling issue.Im starting to regred with haking that ge65.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Oh hello! It really pains me to see that MSI, which is apparently such a great gaming company has done a poor cooling job in their laptops. Over the years I have performed probably EVERY possible solution that exists on this planet :D. Well, what I've done is below:

1. Undervolted the laptop (I can go just as far as -0.1445 on CPU Core and CPU Cache
  2. I've repasted the CPU and the GPU with MX-4
  3. I've bought a cooling pad

The above-mentioned things DID NOT work for me at all however, I have still applied them.

What I've finally done is:

Go into TPL in ThrottleStop and put
Turbo Boost long power max = 40
Turbo Boost short power max = 50
Turbo time limit = 1

Speedshift EPP is at 128 (although I've put it at 0 for extra performance). The images below show my configuration

View: https://imgur.com/a/UtNwnYP

Although it will cause some throttle as the voltage won't go over 40, but the cores do operate at 3.6 to 4 Ghz and the temperature reaches 85-89.

Its much better than disabling turbo boost which will cause SEVERE performance loss especially if you are video editing or using the CPU resources more.

A guy on reddit told me that he had the same problem even after reapplication of thermal paste. However, he solved it by applying K5 Pro thermal paste on the VRMs. According to him, the problem lies in the poor quality thermal pads which the laptop has so I've also ordered Arctic thermal pads (as K5 Pro wasn't available in my country).

I will update you once I change them.

Lastly, I'll recommend you that if you bought the laptop from an official MSI store, you should return it and wait for the next gen laptops to come. I've seen that they put 2 CPU Fans this time and claim a 30% better cooling performance. I think the wait will be worth it. (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS75-Stealth-10SX )

I live in a third world country and bought the laptop from an unofficial seller so I can't have MSI replace or return it.

Solution
Aug 9, 2020
Oh hello! It really pains me to see that MSI, which is apparently such a great gaming company has done a poor cooling job in their laptops. Over the years I have performed probably EVERY possible solution that exists on this planet :D. Well, what I've done is below:

1. Undervolted the laptop (I can go just as far as -0.1445 on CPU Core and CPU Cache
  2. I've repasted the CPU and the GPU with MX-4
  3. I've bought a cooling pad
The above-mentioned things DID NOT work for me at all however, I have still applied them.

What I've finally done is:

Go into TPL in ThrottleStop and put
Turbo Boost long power max = 40
Turbo Boost short power max = 50
Turbo time limit = 1

Speedshift EPP is at 128 (although I've put it at 0 for extra performance). The images below show my configuration

View: https://imgur.com/a/UtNwnYP

Although it will cause some throttle as the voltage won't go over 40, but the cores do operate at 3.6 to 4 Ghz and the temperature reaches 85-89.

Its much better than disabling turbo boost which will cause SEVERE performance loss especially if you are video editing or using the CPU resources more.

A guy on reddit told me that he had the same problem even after reapplication of thermal paste. However, he solved it by applying K5 Pro thermal paste on the VRMs. According to him, the problem lies in the poor quality thermal pads which the laptop has so I've also ordered Arctic thermal pads (as K5 Pro wasn't available in my country).

I will update you once I change them.

Lastly, I'll recommend you that if you bought the laptop from an official MSI store, you should return it and wait for the next gen laptops to come. I've seen that they put 2 CPU Fans this time and claim a 30% better cooling performance. I think the wait will be worth it. (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS75-Stealth-10SX )

I live in a third world country and bought the laptop from an unofficial seller so I can't have MSI replace or return it.
Any update on that thermal past Asbaat ?Did it Help ?