[SOLVED] High CPU Temps in Laptop MSI GE65 Raider 9SE

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Hello everyone! So, I made a post about this a while ago but seems like the only way the problem gets solved is if I disable turbo boost.

The problem is that the CPU goes to 94 degrees Celsius whenever there's load on the CPU. The idle temperatures are between 60-65 and the temperature on maximum load is 94-95. Sometimes it even spikes up to 99 degrees. I've already set up an undervolt of -0.125V but that doesn't help at all. My laptop is absolutely new ( I just bought it 2 weeks ago). So, is re-applying thermal paste the only solution left?

Solution
Yes it can be the thermal paste and one way of resolving that is reapplying it, although it is a new laptop and that's not very likely. However, if you have no prior experience I suggest to take it to trained/skilled technicians preferably MSI service/support center.

Have you checked Dragon Center to see if you are running in Turbo Mode all the time? Also switch over to Sport and Advanced for fan control and set aggressive fan speeds.

Those CPUs and GPUs can get hot and if it's all a matter of inefficient design in terms of cooling there is not much you can do.
You should check on Google if this is a common issue for your laptop model. Some laptops are just poorly made and unfortunately just have bad temperatures on load.. Even if it's supposed to be a gaming laptop. I would suggest getting a laptop cooler for when you're at home and disabling turbo boost whenever you're not using a laptop cooler.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
You should check on Google if this is a common issue for your laptop model. Some laptops are just poorly made and unfortunately just have bad temperatures on load.. Even if it's supposed to be a gaming laptop. I would suggest getting a laptop cooler for when you're at home and disabling turbo boost whenever you're not using a laptop cooler.
I've searched quite a lot and the only thing that seems to work for people is replacing the thermal compound

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes it can be the thermal paste and one way of resolving that is reapplying it, although it is a new laptop and that's not very likely. However, if you have no prior experience I suggest to take it to trained/skilled technicians preferably MSI service/support center.

Have you checked Dragon Center to see if you are running in Turbo Mode all the time? Also switch over to Sport and Advanced for fan control and set aggressive fan speeds.

Those CPUs and GPUs can get hot and if it's all a matter of inefficient design in terms of cooling there is not much you can do.

Solution