Question High CPU Temps

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
I'm getting 60 degrees on idle and up to 100 degrees on light stuff...any ideas? Here's the story.

Just today, I upgraded my 4th gen comp to the latest Coffee Lake gen. My last comp's idle temps were around 30-35 degrees with in i7-4790k, DDR3 RAM, and an MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

My new build has an i7-9700k, and I bought some Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz 16GB DDR4 and a Z390 MSI Gaming Plus. The rest of the parts are still the same, and I moved it into a new case, a Corsair 678C.

I get 45 degrees celsius in BIOS which is still a bit high, and on idle for my desktop, I get 60 degrees. When simply sitting in a game, I hit 100 degrees within a few minutes. I was downloading some games and doing some light Google Chrome browsing and even that made it actually hit 100 degrees..any ideas why?

Note worthy:
  • Switched the radiator from the top of the case to the front, meaning different orientation. However..shouldn't matter?
  • I re-used my h100i v2 CPU cooler
  • I've tried re-applying my Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, the first time it was a smidge of it, the second time I put a lot more. Only small improvement.
  • The cooler is definitely on tight, no wiggle at all
  • It hits 100 degrees even when the CPU is running at 20% according to task manager. So it has to be the CPU cooler..right?
  • No overclocks. No adjustments to voltages.
I'm willing to buy a new CPU cooler, but I don't even know if that'll do the job. I got the i7-9700k from B&H, RAM from Amazon, and Mobo from Amazon.

Last edited:

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Here is the part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/haibrands/saved/T2V3t6
Attached is a photo.
0a3059d105b6859e3bfc73d2fcac3a08.jpg

Apr 13, 2019
Is the components positioned properly? Improper component positioning can lead to it not working properly.
Or maybe your components are dusty. Dust Bunnies can lead components to overheat quicker.

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
If anything, it was dusty in the old build. This build is completely dust free.

Yes, I'm fairly sure I positioned the components adequately. If you look at my photo, can you let me know if you see anything wrong?

Cooler is seated correctly. Fans are definitely running, LED's are on for them and they are loud. When I touch the pumps, I can feel that they are warm, so I imagine they're working? Same with the CPU cooler. However, when touching the radiator, it doesn't feel warm at all, only at the point where the pumps touch the radiator. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
If anything, it was dusty in the old build. This build is completely dust free.

Yes, I'm fairly sure I positioned the components adequately. If you look at my photo, can you let me know if you see anything wrong?

Cooler is seated correctly. Fans are definitely running, LED's are on for them and they are loud. When I touch the pumps, I can feel that they are warm, so I imagine they're working? Same with the CPU cooler. However, when touching the radiator, it doesn't feel warm at all, only at the point where the pumps touch the radiator. Thoughts?
Have you replaced your cooling liquid?
Or applied thermal paste?

Haibrands

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
I seemed to have solved the issue. For whatever reason, my radiator cannot be oriented the way it is in the photo. I've flipped it upside down and tried it on the top, and both work. My CPU doesn't go above 70 anymore. Interesting, maybe one day I'll find out why

Apr 13, 2019
I seemed to have solved the issue. For whatever reason, my radiator cannot be oriented the way it is in the photo. I've flipped it upside down and tried it on the top, and both work. My CPU doesn't go above 70 anymore. Interesting, maybe one day I'll find out why
Gravity helps liquid flow.