Question High CPU temps

Aug 13, 2022
Hi,

Currently I have only 2 case fans(1 intake and 1 exhaust) which comes with the Corsair 4000D and Noctua NH-L9x25 CPU cooler.

Actually I had no temp problem, maximum temps I get for GPU was 65c and CPU 75c but while playing Cyberpunk 2077(no DLSS/RTX and lowered most settings to medium) CPU reached 98c, GPU was around 65c as usual.

Should I get more case fans to increase airflow or just upgrade CPU cooler?

If its about the airflow; I'm planing to have 1x Noctua NF-A12x25 to make 2 intake - 1 exhaust (2 corsair + 1 noctua)
If its about the cooler; I can upgrade mine to Noctua NH-D15 (or any better one that you can suggest)

My setup is;

Case: Corsair 4000D
CPU: i5-12600K
Board: MSI Pro B660M-A
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 ti Vision Rev 2.0

Thanks in advance

Noctua NH-L9x25 CPU cooler.
Not sure if this is the L9-65 (type-o) or the L9i, but I'd recommend a larger cooler. Especially since you have a 4000D case. Wouldn't need to go all the way to a D15 for a 12600K. I actually like single-fan 140mm coolers. Something like the Noctua U14S, Deepcool AS500, etc etc.

You'd also absolutely benefit from a second intake fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Most cost-effective idea probably would be to upgrade your fans and re-evaluate temps at that time.

That L9 cooler is a low profile and down-draft type normally used when the PC case is so narrow that a standard tower cooler won't fit.

From memory, your 4000D case is wide enough to accept a variety of standard tower coolers that blow sideways, not down and are more efficient overall.

Even a Noctua U9S would be a noticeable improvement....all the way up to a U14 series single tower. Noctua has a new dual tower that is only 145 tall as I recall. That would fit.

All depends on your budget and how low you are trying to drive temps. Start with fans only if you prefer.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Noctua maintains a list of suitable coolers for various processors.
Here is the list for the 12600K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i5-12600K-1581
I do not see a L9x25 listed.
Possibly you mean L9x65 which has a nspr performance rating of 67 which is not very good.
I am surprised that they put that cooler in the best headroom/overclocking category. Marginal at best, I think.
Downdraft coolers are not very effective, and you have a reasonably hot gpu in there.
The case allows 3 front 120mm intakes. I would add a second or third.
As to better coolers, NH-D15 is as good as it gets for cooling.
But, there are a couple of caveats:
you need low profile ram to avoid interference with the front fan of the cooler(32mm)
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification
Some motherboards will position the cpu socket too close to the graphics card pcie slot causing interference.

I like the NH-D15s which is a high compatibility version that avoids both issues:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification

Aug 13, 2022
I was gonna order D15 but as you mentioned, due to ram clearance, ordered D15s with 2 NF-A12x25 case fans. Also I'm gonna change the fan setup as 2 noctua front, 1 corsair back and 1 corsair top.

Thanks a lot!

I was gonna order D15 but as you mentioned, due to ram clearance, ordered D15s with 2 NF-A12x25 case fans. Also I'm gonna change the fan setup as 2 noctua front, 1 corsair back and 1 corsair top.

Thanks a lot!
As a suggestion, put three 120mm fans in front as intake, and none at top. No matter if the fans in front are different.
Top fans tend to redirect airflow up and out of the case before it can reach the cooler and motherboard.
More intake is probably better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Masteis
Aug 13, 2022
Should I insert noctua fan for exhaust? Currently Im using Corsair's 4000d default fans and I dont know how good it is.

2 corsair + 1 noctua intake, 1 noctua exhaust

Or

2 noctua + 1 corsair intake, 1 corsair exhaust

TRENDING THREADS