High CPU Usage After Knocking Off Power Chord

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Whilst gaming, I accidentally knocked my power chord free from the PSU. I didn't think much of it, and plugged it back in, then continued to turn my PC back on and play. As soon as my PC fully booted, I had started noticing problems. After checking, my CPU usage was sitting at 20-30% on idle. Using any program such as Google Chrome, or opening a game instantly shot my usage up to anywhere from 60-100%. On top of this, my memory is sitting at 20% idled, but has shot to 50% once. I ran stress tests, diagnostics, anti-virus and I have not found any problems. At one point, I opened my PC and made sure every chord was fully plugged in. As a last effort, I am coming here in hopes that someone may have the answer to my problem.

PC Specs:

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.4GHz
GPU: Asus 1080 Strix
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-3200 Vengeance LED
PSU: Corsair 1000 Watt
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 Designare

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Your PSU might be faulty from that little accident. It's another reason why they must be plugged into a power surge protector as opposed to a direct outlet because any sudden changes in voltage can damage it, let alone the components from within your computer as well. Check the manufacturer for warranty information or if you can return it for a replacement at your local computer store, good luck!

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

That's the message that showed up after attempting that.

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

If this is so, I do have a spare PSU in an unopened package that I could try out.

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Doing this made no differences. I'm just going to replace the PSU and see if that fixes my issue.

SeonTheNeon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Sadly after replacing the PSU, I'm still getting the same problem. It possibly could be something shorted in my PC, but the PSU isn't the issue.