[SOLVED] High CPU Usage Causes Input Lag

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi, I am using a Logitech G502 and an i5 7400 but I get high cpu usages when playing games and it causes my mouse to lag during the game such as stutters or jumps, also I have 16GB of RAM. I had an issue of my cpu being around 100% usage and it causes problems with mouse input, Does anyone know the fix?

Solution
Good combo but since the problem is more or less isolated to one game, i could not say. Windows would be reinstalled on new hardware so this could change the outcome too rather than be solely hardware based albeit cpu usage should be better, so maybe.

To kind of determine if max cpu usage is causing problems in Destiny, use an fps limiter (Msi Afterburner) and cap fps to 60. Less cpu frame pre-rendering and usage should decrease. See if you still get mouse lag if cpu isn't pegged on 100%.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
List pc specs

Cpu: i5 7400
Cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram, how many sticks and speed:
Gpu:
Ssd/hdd:
Psu:
Windows & games and where they're installed:
Monitor resolution and Hz:

Which games are you having trouble with?

100% cpu can be a bother. Check temps under load and if it helps, lower your frame rates so cpu isn't working as hard pre-rendering frames called by the gpu.

These days, in games like BF5 & Apex Legends, high frame rates of 100+ can overwork 4 and also 6 core cpus.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
CPU: i5 7400
Cooler: Stock
Mobo: MSI b250m gaming pro
Ram: 2x8 16GB 2400 mhz
Gpu: 1060 3gb
Storage: HDD 1TB
Psu: thermaltake 600w
Games are installed on HDD, The games that I am having trouble with are Destiny 2 and sometimes rainbow six siege

When you have the mouse lag, is the hard drive getting hammered, or just the CPU?

What resolution are you running? One suggestion I might make is to turn the "eye candy" down a tad. If that helps significantly, it could be due to the memory limitations of your video card.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
CPU: i5 7400
Cooler: Stock
Mobo: MSI b250m gaming pro
Ram: 2x8 16GB 2400 mhz
Gpu: 1060 3gb
Storage: HDD 1TB
Psu: thermaltake 600w
Games are installed on HDD, The games that I am having trouble with are Destiny 2 and sometimes rainbow six siege

Lag or performance drops can be the result of a few things and those things could be with your setup.

*Stock cooler - Check cpu temps & speed under load. Don't want to see speeds plummet because temps are reaching throttle stage.

*High cpu usage, background apps, and or high usage if cpu is struggling due to above.

*HDD - Can be an issue if it's a 5400rpm model.

I suggest using Coretemp or Hwinfo to monitor your cpu temps, frequency and usage while playing. Could use Msi Afterburner osd to show these stats in-game as well.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
My CPU is the one getting hammered when playing games and my HDD is 7200 RPM. I cannot use msi after burner because it is not compatible with Destiny 2 which just cause even more lag. Also what is this 'eye candy'?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Eye candy is referred to high graphics settings, nice looking visuals for the eye. Contrary, if cpu is struggling fps wise, reducing details will have a negative effect.

We still need to know if your cpu is heat throttling, so please, provide thorough results of the matter if you want to advance in this troubleshooting phase.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
I would be getting like 80-100 FPS even though I have mouse stutters, I would not really say its an 'fps' stutter though but I still see the game run smooth just that I can't control anything besides the keyboard working fine

boju

Titan
Ambassador
High cpu usages can cause stutters, as in mini pauses / frame delays where everything, mouse, keyboard and what is seen on screen is affected. Im not sure what to make of mouse lag. Have you tried a different mouse?

Could you elaborate on your input lag issue? Like is it a bit delayed compared to monitor, like vsync lag? Could be mouse pad / mouse sensor adding toward mouse latency too.

I would be getting like 80-100 FPS even though I have mouse stutters, I would not really say its an 'fps' stutter though but I still see the game run smooth just that I can't control anything besides the keyboard working fine
This is often a tell-tale sign of either a hard drive slowing your down, or background processes slowing your down.
  1. Make sure Windows Updates is up to date.
  2. Close web browsers while gaming.
  3. (Optional but recommended). Turn off the Windows 10 driver update service.
a. Advanced System Settings (aka System Properties)
b. Hardware Tab
c. Go To Device Installation Settings and select No.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
So this mouse delay only happens in Destiny and only when cpu is running at 100%? Does usage drop at all in this game? If there are moments of lesser cpu usage, does mouse return to normal?
I would say that I am only getting affected from Destiny 2 even though it is running at 100%, I was monitoring Siege and my cpu was running at 100% but with no input lag though. I am already considering of getting a Ryzen 5 2600, Gigabyte B450 MOBO and 16GB 3000 mhz Ram, would this be a good match so I can get rid of my problems?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Good combo but since the problem is more or less isolated to one game, i could not say. Windows would be reinstalled on new hardware so this could change the outcome too rather than be solely hardware based albeit cpu usage should be better, so maybe.

To kind of determine if max cpu usage is causing problems in Destiny, use an fps limiter (Msi Afterburner) and cap fps to 60. Less cpu frame pre-rendering and usage should decrease. See if you still get mouse lag if cpu isn't pegged on 100%.

Solution
Oct 16, 2020
I seem to have found a solution!
had problems running doom 2016 and eternal, my pc specs can run the game on high with medium textures, and I was having trouble with my mouse, cpu reach 100 in game but on task manager not above 30%.. i used in-game benchmarks and stats..
After seeing some sites and stuff I got to the following solution (at least for me)
DIsable Hyper thread for intel users and for AMD something called cpu core boost
I DISABLED it... and doom returned to its former glory of 60 fps..
those with higher pc specs than mine (fx 8350 16gb ram gtx 970) with the same problem, search on your MB and CPU about this feature.. I guess its mostly used for programs that need a lot of proccesing, since my pc is for gaming, I disabled it and now everything's ok.

hope I helped someone, because I almost lost it!