Question High CPU usage with GOM Player help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2019
Hey guys! My 1st question here. My specs are i5 7600 (3.5GHz), 2x8GB 2400 RAM, GTX 1060 6GB (+110/+330).

I have problems with GOM Player running 4K videos (mostly .mkv) and even some 1080p blu rays (not sure which codec is that? but files usually take up between 20-100 GB). Yet on YouTube I can smoothly run 8K@60fps videos.

CPU usage with such videos in GOM Player is always capped at 100% and PC is going hot, while GPU has fairly low usage, as opposed to YouTube for example where my GPU gets used for videos and almost no CPU at all, hence smooth 8K@60fps. I've tried reinstalling, tried enabling HW acceleration for GPU (Nvidia hevc or something) but nothing - it's always full CPU usage and low GPU usage in GOM.

I have tried contacting GOM support but they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about and I didn't get any help other than "I tried same video and I had ~40% CPU usage - with 9900K!" - it was Harry Potter BluRay 4K. So support had the same problem as me - to have a CPU like 9900K being used 40% to play a movie is a bit extreme.

I don't wanna give up on GOM yet cos I am very used to interface and it has some features I use on daily basis, double click to crop/fit window to current video margins, etc.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to make GPU decode video instead of CPU, if that is my problem? Anyone had this experience with GOM? Which players next to it would you recommend for smooth high quality video playback without losing video quality (if that's what happens?) Any info on anything related to this is very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Dec 3, 2019
your installed codecs doesnt use hardware acceleration or that player doesnt have hardware acceleration enabled

Hey! Thanks for answer!!

But how do I make it use those codecs that support hardware acceleration? I have enabled hardware acceleration (HW and HW+) in preferences, or to be exact they were enabled by default, and I even checked a box for something for Nvidia cards (some HEVC or something like that) - but nothing, all the same with GOM player, full CPU usage at 100% and GPU is chilling, with huge lags on 4K large files.

Status
Not open for further replies.