High CPU usage

raduhwbe

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Recently I got a GTX 1080, combining it with an i5 6402p. I know that is a little bit of bottleneck, but in some games i'm getting worse performace than before with a GTX 760. In some cases my proecessor gets at 100% usage and the lag spikes start appearing.

Sorry if i had some grmmar or spelling mistakes.

Is this in online/internet game play? Your new framerate could now easily exceed your connection's bandwidth to the server in question...; try capping your FPS to 60 fps within game settings if possible to see if stability/steadiness improves.... Cranks your resolution and detail to max as well....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Guessing you're playing heavier games now? What games are you seeing high usages in?

List pc specs.
Cpu
Motherboard
Memory, include how many sticks
Hdd/ssd
Psu
Windows
Monitor

What's your cpu usage on idle?

Gtx 1080 is going to up the frame rates and your cpu needs to keep up with the pre-rendering. More fps does increase cpu usage.

16GB ram is recommended for a card like that. Pagefile can easily get to whopping sizes with less ram in big games and that can slow things down a lot. Vram data from a gpu circulates to and from ram. Windows taxes 2~3GB so if you only have 8GB ram there's not a lot left for vram and other game related memory stuff.

raduhwbe

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Cpu: i5 6402p
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO Gaming
Ram: 2 sticks of 8gb corsair vengeance blue 3200mhz
Hdd/sdd: 120 sata ssd, 500 gb external hdd and 320 gb hdd
Psu: 1050w cougar 80+ gold
Windows 10 pro
Monitor: 29 inch lg ultrawide

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Whats your usage like on idle?

What games?

What drive are the games installed on?

120GB is small and wouldn't have it filled up too much, atleast 20GB free otherwise performance degrades.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3148404/ssd-require-leave-free-space.html

Maybe one or two games on it? If there are games on the 320GB HDD, how fast is this drive? External drive would be too slow for games so couldn't imagine you using that.