[SOLVED] High dedicated GPU memory usage - is it bad?

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys
I have a gtx 1660 Ti. I use it for work for CAD and other stuff.

The card has 6GB of ram. I can see on Task Manager that 5.2GB of dedicated GPU memory is being used. This seems close to the max ram. What does it mean and does it really matter? Should I be thinking of an 8GB ram card?

Cheers, Andrew

Solution
In games it can if you overclock the core and memory clock,but as much as amount of Vram you have,that cant be changed.
Though i saw a post last week on this forum about a guy who legit put 16gb of Vram in his 2070 super which is 8gb.I wonder how he did that xD

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Its pretty self explanatory.
It uses your Vram.
You should only be thinking of upgrading if you are not satisfied with the performance you are getting.
Thanks Djoza - the only reason I asked is because with regular RAM system speed slows down when you get to near 80% of max ram as your system starts to page. I wondered if your GPU suffers a similar type of problem when VRAM is near its max.

Regards, Andrew

Thanks Djoza - the only reason I asked is because with regular RAM system speed slows down when you get to near 80% of max ram as your system starts to page. I wondered if your GPU suffers a similar type of problem when VRAM is near its max.

Regards, Andrew
It gets to its limit pretty much.
It cant deliver more than its allowed to,if you know what i mean.

In games it can if you overclock the core and memory clock,but as much as amount of Vram you have,that cant be changed.
Though i saw a post last week on this forum about a guy who legit put 16gb of Vram in his 2070 super which is 8gb.I wonder how he did that xD

Solution