Question High download speeds, low ping, but laggy gameplay across all games

Jun 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've tried playing both rocket league and COD this afternoon and was experiencing studdering lag on both games which made them both practically unplayable.

My ping in rocket league was low, but it seemed unstable, moving anywhere between 15 to 30 every third of a second or so. Ping in cod was a little higher, around 47 - 50, but did not waver as much and seemed pretty stable compared to everyone else. However I still experienced the same studdery lag.

I have spectrum as my ISP and we are using their router and modem, which are farely new and I'm currently using a night hawk AC1900 wifi adapter.

My download speeds easily hit 200mbps at any time of the day and after running a continuous ping to the router, I saw I was getting response times of 12ms consistantly, with occasional spikes up to 20ms at most every 10 secconds or so. However, I do not have as strong of a connection because of how thick the walls in my apartment are; I only get 4 out of 5 bars as shown in my network settings.

I just got this wifi adapter a few days ago so I'm not sure if that is the problem or if it's something going on with our ISP.

CPU: Intel i5 9600K
Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 UD
Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4
SSD: WD 128GB
HDD: Seagate 2TB
Windows 10
PSU: EVGA 650W Gold
Wireless Adaptor: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 USB 3.0

Last edited: