Question High End PC build on a budget?

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
I am looking to build a couple of high end Gaming PCs each one under or right at $2000. The main issue is, how far under 2000 can I go without degrading performance over 1 or 2 lowgraded components. Looking for advice, or if someone knows a good build. I am an Nvidia guy so...Thank you so much!

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I am looking to build a couple of high end Gaming PCs under $2000. The main issue is, how far under 2000 can I go without degrading performance over 1 or 2 lowgraded components. Looking for advice, or if someone knows a good build. I am an Nvidia guy so...Thank you so much!

Given the price of GPUs, you can't build one high-end gaming PC much under $2000, let alone "a couple of" high-end gaming PCs.

DSzymborski

Titan
Haha. Sorry, I should of clarified, I ment each one was that price range. I edited my question.

What are you thinking of for high-end performance? Games, framerates, resolutions, other requirements? Everyone's going to have a differing opinion of high-end. And how long can you wait for this; to even get a high-end build under 2000, at least based on what I consider high-end, you'll have to get lucky in grabbing a 3070 or better at retail price.

Reactions: SteineyDragon

DSzymborski

Titan
My monitors are just using the recommended 1920x1080 setting, and they have a 75 hz refresh rate.

Is this for both PCs? Is there any reasonable chance of monitor upgrades in the next year or two? What are you using now? At 1080p/75Hz, a high-end build is going to result in you spending a lot of money from which you get little benefit.

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
What are you thinking of for high-end performance? Games, framerates, resolutions, other requirements? Everyone's going to have a differing opinion of high-end. And how long can you wait for this; to even get a high-end build under 2000, at least based on what I consider high-end, you'll have to get lucky in grabbing a 3070 or better at retail price.

Games, frame rates, and resolution would all be great. But mostly for game performance. I do plan on upgrading monitors. I have two PCs with two monitors each. The monitors have the same specs. As far as timeline, I can wait. I have my PCs that can play all the games that are currently coming out, just not all on high settings. I appreciate you asking these questions, didnt think about the monitor performance being an issue (derp).

DSzymborski

Titan
Games, frame rates, and resolution would all be great. But mostly for game performance. I do plan on upgrading monitors. I have two PCs with two monitors each. The monitors have the same specs. As far as timeline, I can wait. I have my PCs that can play all the games that are currently coming out, just not all on high settings. I appreciate you asking these questions, didnt think about the monitor performance being an issue (derp).

To be honest, I would wait if I were in your position. If you're mostly able to use your PC as desired, with only some moderation of settings, this is an awful time to get bang for the buck. Perhaps become a regular at entering Newegg GPU drops or checking Micro Center, should you be near one, from time-to-time. Then, if you're able to score a GPU at a reasonable price, then build around it. In fact, that's precisely what I did last winter; my 2080 Super wasn't hurting me in any way, but I was able to score a 3080 drop last January for $729, making it a no-brainer (I was able to sell my year-old 2080 Super for the exact price I bought it for).

You could build right now, ignoring all these considerations, but as much fun as it is to assemble builds -- and I'm an inveterate tinkerer, so I know the feeling well -- I'd really hate for you to spend money that you don't really need to be spending. Which is why I'm asking all these obnoxious questions!

Even if you don't build right now, there may be some quality-of-life upgrades to your current PC that would aid in your current enjoyment. Excellent mice and keyboards never really get outdated and can go to your future build, whether it's next week or next year. An NVMe OS drive can perk up older PCs if you don't already have one. Even something like a high-quality chair can pay long-term dividends that you might not get at this very moment with a new build.

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
To be honest, I would wait if I were in your position. If you're mostly able to use your PC as desired, with only some moderation of settings, this is an awful time to get bang for the buck. Perhaps become a regular at entering Newegg GPU drops or checking Micro Center, should you be near one, from time-to-time. Then, if you're able to score a GPU at a reasonable price, then build around it. In fact, that's precisely what I did last winter; my 2080 Super wasn't hurting me in any way, but I was able to score a 3080 drop last January for $729, making it a no-brainer (I was able to sell my year-old 2080 Super for the exact price I bought it for).

You could build right now, ignoring all these considerations, but as much fun as it is to assemble builds -- and I'm an inveterate tinkerer, so I know the feeling well -- I'd really hate for you to spend money that you don't really need to be spending. Which is why I'm asking all these obnoxious questions!

Even if you don't build right now, there may be some quality-of-life upgrades to your current PC that would aid in your current enjoyment. Excellent mice and keyboards never really get outdated and can go to your future build, whether it's next week or next year. An NVMe OS drive can perk up older PCs if you don't already have one. Even something like a high-quality chair can pay long-term dividends that you might not get at this very moment with a new build.

That might be a good idea. I will wait to get the GPU, and save in the mean time, and then build around it. Do you have any builds you might suggest, just based off of our conversation?

What are you now using for graphics?
If performance is adequate excepting for settings, then
It would seem that stronger graphics card is all you need.
What cpu are you using now?

If you should upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram to current gen today,
You may get buyer's remorse when intel 12th gen arrives soon or ryzen next gen soon after.

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
What are you now using for graphics?
If performance is adequate excepting for settings, then
It would seem that stronger graphics card is all you need.
What cpu are you using now?

If you should upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram to current gen today,
You may get buyer's remorse when intel 12th gen arrives soon or ryzen next gen soon after.

Oh trust me, Its not just the graphics card HAHA. The newer games have to be on low or medium, without the bells and whistles to enhance your graphics.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

I make due with this, for the games I play it gets the job done, but with these new games coming out, I wont be able to enjoy them like I do the ones now.

The newer games have to be on low or medium, without the bells and whistles to enhance your graphics.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

I'd be curious to know what the rest of your system components are since what you've listed is fairly respectable. It's possible that simply moving to a Ryzen 5600x (if your motherboard is compatible) and rtx 3070 will give you plenty of power to play those upcoming games.