High end PC gets quite hot with gaming & exporting movies

Sieyazr

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Hi,
I have a High-end PC which runs fine when idle and being on the internet,
though with gaming & especially exporting movies... it has some struggles with temperatures.

I seriously did forget the parts I bought from the company, so I'll show my build from their info.

This is my build: (Info is from the company I bought it from, so some things are a bit vague)

Corsair Carbide 330R
Intel Core i7 6700K / 4,00GHz
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHz
750W Corsair CX750M
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB (SSD)
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
Cooler : (Intel Stock Cooler of i7 6700k If I'm correct)
According to company... Standard fans, I'm guessing stock fans?

I did talk to the company live chat, being worried if my build didn't have enough cooling or ways to prevent high temperatures... they said I was just ''Fine!''. ''70 Degrees with this build is fine!''
Not sure if I can trust them.

I used MSI afterburner on a 2007 game, Bioshock, and saw that my GPU was doing fairly well, but my CPU being mostly around 65-72 degrees. And though you could call this fine, it's a game from 10 years ago! The FPS was around 300-500 or so. So I don't think it's hardware related.

When I export long movies around an hour and a half... it seriously is around 90C and coming close to 93C

I later talked about this in the live chat with the company, and the guy said he didn't really have an idea. Just that CPU's naturally get very hot when exporting with Premiere Pro.

I'm a bit clueless if I'm understanding it wrong, or the company doesn't get me.

My question is: Does my build lack cooling things? (fans, coolers, etc.)
Are the temperatures something to worry about? (The 90C for sure, lol)

And if it does lack components or has flaws, I'd love some advice!
Thanks for reading.

Solution
Just grab the Cryorig M9i and have the store pop it in, should be free.
It's a quick 5 min process.
Pretty hard to break something in a PC tbh unless you're stepping on components with work boots.

M04D18

Respectable
Jun 16, 2017
Well i7- 6700k is truly very hot, 70 degrees are fine but with 90+ you should be worry, well i recommend you to buy a new heatsink to replace the stock one ( these intel stock coolers arent the best, the 7700k comes with no cooler)

The 6700k doesn't have a stock cooler, idk where you got that from but it is most definitely not suitable.
Get the Cryorig M9i for $19 on Newegg, fantastic budget choice.
If you want to do some heavy OCing, get the Cryorig H5 Universal, fantastic value and no RAM obstruction.
Not a Cryorig fanboy, they just make the best products for the money atm.

Intel skylake and kabylake both runs hot since the thermal paste used between the cpu die and heatspreader is to be honest garbage.
Running a stock intel cooler is not something I would advice with the 6700k - 7700k.
Get a high end aircooler or an AIO cooler.
If you still feel that the temps are to high there is only one thing you can do and that is to delid the cpu and swap out the crap thermal paste that intel has used to liquid metal.

And about the 10 year old game... At 300 - 500 fps your cpu still has to handle the data flow to the gpu so in fact it is really working.
People tend to forget that at 1080p you can bottleneck the cpu if you have an good gpu.
At 1440p or 4k the frames normaly dont go so insane high so now you offload some work from the cpu to the gpu, since now the gpu cant keep up, so the cpu in a way throttles down alittle.

70+ degrees under load is pretty normal for these newer, higher-end Intel CPUs. The 90+ degrees when converting video would probably be worth looking into though. It could be a stock Intel cooler from another Intel CPU, and perhaps not enough to handle sustained full load on all cores for extended periods of time, like you will likely encounter during video conversion. It might help to show a photo of your case's interior to see just what kind of cooling setup it has.

The FPS was around 300-500

You should probably be capping the framerate, by turning on V-sync for example, which will limit the frames to whatever your monitor can display. It's largely pointless to run games at 300+ fps when your monitor only updates the screen 60 times per second, or up to around 144 times per second on some high refresh-rate gaming monitors. You're not even seeing the vast majority of the frames that are getting rendered, so it's effectively just wasting electricity and running your computer components hotter than necessary for older games like that.

Poozle

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Not their fault, and it sounds like you have a little extra money. Get a AIO watercooler from NZXT or Corsair. Will lower temps by 30-40C but you will need new thermal paste too. Purchase both here at amazon.

Cooler :https://www.amazon.com/Kraken-Liquid-Cooling-System-RL-KRX62-01/dp/B01LZYA9A7

Thermal paste: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Compound-Performance-Heatsink-Interface/dp/B0045JCFLY/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3PVY4B77BKYWQF13ETB7

Just google how to do it. Really easy imho, maybe a 15 minute job for an inexperienced user.

Poozle

Reputable
May 9, 2015
I said delidding is an option, not that he needs it. And the value is certainly there. Watercooling performs better than that of air coolers albeit at slightly higher prices (30$ ish) which mind you, this guy is able to purchase a 1070 among other nice parts. To properly cool those parts, what is 130$ vs 100? I am giving him the --most powerful option-- not the cheapest.

A 1070 isn't exactly the very top end, think relatively.
It's also a matter of what's necessary, I mentioned a Cryorig M9i for $19 for a good moderate OC option, or a Cryorig H5 Universal for high OCing which does all the overclocking you need while keeping temps well below 80c under synthetic load.
As long as temps are well below 80c with big OCs, temp difference becomes irrelevant.

Poozle

Reputable
May 9, 2015
I disagree, relatively, a 1070 is 450$ and performs to last years 980ti. I never said your cooler was a bad choice, however, as you already provided a budget option, I decided to provide another *different* option for the OP.

Sieyazr

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
A bit of heat in the chat (jk)
Thanks a lot for all the info, and some stupid mistakes too!

Yes, I was dumb testing the degrees withouy limiting the FPS, but I thought it was a 2007 game, I guessed it didn't matter so much. (It did)

So the main point is capping the games when the extra FPS is not needed, buying a new stock cooler (Maybe extra options too)

Btw maybe I should've pointed it out sooner, but because I'm a fairly young lass, I have some people who worry that I would ''break'' the PC in some way.
So I got the company to install the parts for me.
Hopefully I can ask them to upgrade those parts for me.

Any extra advice is appreciated!

Yeah, it's mostly just unplug the main connectors, unscrew the motherboard, install the backplate on the other side of the mobo (A few screws) and throw the cooler on the front side, then remount and attach cables again.
Just take photos of what's plugged into where when deconstructing it to help, especially those front i/o headers, or the tiny little twin pronged things at the front bottom right of the mobo.