[SOLVED] High end pc micro-stuttering

Jan 28, 2019
So I recently I built a gaming pc and my Fortnite kept crashing. The fix was to set the cpu overclock and mem overclock to auto in the bios insted of D.C.O.P in the bios. But the problem that now occurs is micro stuttering. I have tried just about everything including resetting my whole PC and resting everything in the bios. I have also made sure that my drivers are up to date like everyone suggest. The problem couldn't be my internet because I have Ethernet and have around 5-30 ping in game. I also run all low settings in fortnite and cap my frames at 144 because I have a 144hz monitor there is no point in letting them run higher. I am offering a reward if anyone can help me eliminate the stuttering. I have also made sure all my temps are no hotter then 55 degrees c
so temp cant be an issue.

Specs are

Kingston 120GB A400 2.5 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
AMD Ryzen 1700x
ASUS ROG STRIX B350F GAMING MOTHERBOARD
WD 1TB 3.5 MAINSTRM BLUE HD
EVGA 750W SUPERNOVA G3 MODULAR
IPSG 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3200 KIT

Solution
Stuttering is due to 144fps. When the gpu is putting 144 frames output to the monitor, it's expecting to put one frame per Hz. If there's even a slight deviation, say 143 frames, the monitor refreshes with the exact same frame as it showed previously, gpu ditches the non shown frame and buffers the next for next refresh. So every couple of frames, you get repeats and see them as microstutters. Vsync is usually a fix for this, if it detects the incoming 143frames, it drops your refresh to 72, thereby changing the timing and allowing the frame to buffer and show correctly. Many don't like that as it makes motion look blurry. Alternatively, you could set the frames higher, let the gpu run faster, like 160fps so that the buffers are filled...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stuttering is due to 144fps. When the gpu is putting 144 frames output to the monitor, it's expecting to put one frame per Hz. If there's even a slight deviation, say 143 frames, the monitor refreshes with the exact same frame as it showed previously, gpu ditches the non shown frame and buffers the next for next refresh. So every couple of frames, you get repeats and see them as microstutters. Vsync is usually a fix for this, if it detects the incoming 143frames, it drops your refresh to 72, thereby changing the timing and allowing the frame to buffer and show correctly. Many don't like that as it makes motion look blurry. Alternatively, you could set the frames higher, let the gpu run faster, like 160fps so that the buffers are filled before refresh is ready for the next frame. I'd also raise the detail levels, unless it's a 1440p@144Hz, even 120fps and no stutter looks far better than 144fps and micro stutters.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS