[SOLVED] High end PC setup

Solution
Have to know a bit more about his preferences to answer a few questions. Especially the monitor. Most gamers want high refresh rates these days. Even if it means sacrificing 1440p. I say it depends on the game. If it's an MMO for example, I'd put 1440p as the priority over refresh rate. But if he's playing fast paced shooters, he'll want better than 60Hz like you have selected.

And if you go 1440p 144Hz then you'd want a better GPU to power it, and so it begins, the endless list of possible upgrades. That's not my intention. Just pointing out that he actually may even want 1080p 144Hz depending on the game.

Absolutely MUST have an SSD in the system at your budget level. Big mistake to not have one. Massive increase in speed across the...
Mar 14, 2019
The build is nice. But if your friend won't overclock the processor you can just buy the i7 8700 instead of the i7 9700K. The K means that it can be overclocked. You'll save about 200$ as the i7 8700 comes with a fan already so you shouldn't get a CPU fan like the one you included. I hope I helped!

Last edited:
Have to know a bit more about his preferences to answer a few questions. Especially the monitor. Most gamers want high refresh rates these days. Even if it means sacrificing 1440p. I say it depends on the game. If it's an MMO for example, I'd put 1440p as the priority over refresh rate. But if he's playing fast paced shooters, he'll want better than 60Hz like you have selected.

And if you go 1440p 144Hz then you'd want a better GPU to power it, and so it begins, the endless list of possible upgrades. That's not my intention. Just pointing out that he actually may even want 1080p 144Hz depending on the game.

Absolutely MUST have an SSD in the system at your budget level. Big mistake to not have one. Massive increase in speed across the board.

You could get away with 16Gb of ram. I've never used more than that.

I wouldn't use that case you have picked for my personal system, but that's obviously personal preference as it has no affect on PC performance. I like metal cases with filters all around and large side windows so I can look at the guts.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 14, 2019
The build is nice. But if your friend won't overclock the processor you can just buy the i7 8700 instead of the i7 9700K. The K means that it can be overclocked. You'll save about 200$ as the i7 8700 comes with a fan already so you shouldn't get a CPU fan like the one you included. I hope I helped!
Thanks for the info. I changed the list according to the recommendations

Mar 14, 2019

While I am not entirely sure on the games he plans to play, he did specifically mention games such as Ark: Survival Evolved, The Elder Scrolls, (Skyrim and when it comes out, elder scrolls 6) and the NBA 2k series.

While I am not entirely sure on the games he plans to play, he did specifically mention games such as Ark: Survival Evolved, The Elder Scrolls, (Skyrim and when it comes out, elder scrolls 6) and the NBA 2k series.

In my opinion, a system should be built around the monitor. The first decision to make is what monitor to get. And that's a personal thing. The one you picked looks great for MMOs. IPS, 1440P, 60Hz. But most people will tell you, high refresh rates is one of those "I'll never go back" moments once you've experienced them. Right up there with an SSD upgrade. Can you take him/her into a store and show him/her the difference between 1440p 60Hz and 1080p 144Hz. Two VERY different monitors.