Question High end PC stuttering in game since new GPU (Windows 10)

Mar 4, 2024
[English is not my mother tongue, but I hope it’s clear enough for you guys D:]

Good morning,

I'm writing here because I have a problem that has been going on for months and months, and I still haven't found a solution, and it's bothering me every time I use my PC. I will detail everything I have already tried right after.

The problem is : My PC (gaming specs) has lots of micro-freezes (stuttering), mainly when I'm gaming. The games run well in 4K Ultra (LOL is around 450fps, PUBG around 120fps), but have problems with lots of micro freezes which generally last a fraction of a second, sometimes a full second; which intervene regardless of the game (PUBG, CS2, LOL, Hearthstone, Gta San Andreas…). Since some days, everytime it freezes in fullscreen, I got to switch to windowed then full screen again, else the screen stand still frozen (but the game is still running, I can hear it). This often happens when the game displays particle effects (spells in LOL, bullet impacts in PUBG, or when the inventory is displayed), but also sometimes without any particular context (when I join a lane in LOL, when driving in GTA:SA). There are also slight display problems sometimes (lines that tear up my screen on certain spells in LOL, like Nunu's snowball, or the character who micro-teleports in LOL when changing direction)
There is also problems displaying web pages that contain images or videos (YouTube sometimes responds to my commands after several seconds. Videos also “lag” for a few seconds. Thumbnails often take a long time to be displayed).
It's also very common that when I turn the PC volume up or down via a shortcut, the game goes to around 20fps, until I switch it to windowed and then full screen again.

When it all started : When I bought a new GPU (AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT) coupled with a new PSU (Cooler Master MWE 750W Gold 2). I bought it to replace my aging NVidia GTX 1070 (which I had no problems with); put together on October 1, 2023.

I repurchased the majority of my config to try to resolve this problem, without success.

Here’s my specs :

Initial configuration:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: 2x G.Skill Aegis DDR4 8 GB 3000 MHz CAS 16
Motherboard: MSI H310M PRO-D
Boot SSD: ADATA SU800
Storage HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1Tb
PSU: I don’t remember; a 550W

Current configuration:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (XFX)
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H (rev. 1.7)
Boot SSD: ADATA SU800
Storage SSD: Fanxiang S101 4Tb
PSU: Corsair RM850 ATX Modular Gold 80

Screens:
-Fox Spirit PGK280 (4K, 144Hz; plugged by DisplayPort)
-Samsung U28E590 (4K, 60Hz; plugged by DisplayPort)
-Acer KG241Q (1080p, 75Hz; plugged by HDMI)

Precision : all the parts were purchased brand new.

What I tried (I tried so many things, so I might forget some of these), and which did not solve my problem:
-Check the correct connections from PSU to GPU
-Remove all graphics drivers (Nvidia & AMD), as well as audio drivers via DDU in safe mode
-> reinstall them from the manufacturers' sites
-Update motherboard BIOS (via flash from bios)
-Update graphics chipset drivers & all possible drivers of the motherboard
-Test with brand new RAM
-Format the boot SSD; then reinstall Windows 10 from new
-Uninstall AMD Adrenalin
-Test with other monitors
-Test with other DisplayPort/HDMI cables
-Return AMD GPU to manufacturer for testing
-> I did not have a replacement, because “the GPU was working perfectly fine”
-Cap all games to 60fps or 144fps (via the game itself, or via external limiters)
-Tweak settings in AMD Adrenalin
->Tweaked almost all the bars as I saw in various forums; in order to prevent the GPU from remaining in “idle” mode), or to underclock the GPU
-Put the PC into “performance” or “energy saving” mode in Windows
-Check the GPU / CPU temperature : it’s always between 50°C and 80°C
-Change settings in BIOs
-> Enable/Disable XMP for RAM
-> Enable/Disable “Above 4G Decoding” & “Resizable Bar”
->Change PCIE detection from “Auto” to “Gen4”; or “Gen3”
-> Change bifurcation from “Auto” to “2x8pin”
-Change game files to another hard drive
-Change 1 or 2 settings in the RegEdit, but since it didn’t work, I changed it back right after the test.
-Check the drives with “CrystalDiskInfo”: they are healthy.
-Install a fresh Windows on another SSD
-I bought a new motherboard, as well as a new processor and a new cooler (see current config)

-I first bought a Cooler Master 750W PSU (which should have been enough for the configuration), which I returned for a refund, because I believed it to be faulty. I replaced it with an 850W PSU from Corsair (see current config), which changed nothing.

-I was able to get my old Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card to test for a few days, and I had no problem with this card (it allowed me to run most of the games in 3K Medium; LOL in 4K ultra while remaining always above 60fps, and no freezes at all. I no longer have this GPU because I gave it to someone when I received my new one)

-I got a brand new NVidia RTX 4070 Super GPU from Gigabyte for a week to test it; the problem remains the same (even after uninstalling the AMD drivers via DDU in safe mode, and reinstalling the NVidia drivers), freezes are still present and performance is unstable

I sent my PC to LDLC for a diagnosis: they simply found nothing. It seems that the PC worked correctly for them.

I recently had some work done on my home, since I thought it must be an electrical problem:

!! [I don’t know anything about electricity in english terms, so this might be vague] !!

I installed a new electrical panel, fitted from the home direct electricity supply, protected by a new differential switch, as well as two circuit breakers to install two new sockets outlets (one exclusively dedicated to my PC, another dedicated to screens, accessories etc…): Each type A, 20A. It didn't help in anyway.

The PSU should be able to send enough power to my setup, and since I replaced it twice for brand new, I don't think that he’s the guilty one.
I don't think it's my GPU either; since I tried two new and recent ones from two different brands. I just received my brand new RAM, it didn't change the problem, just like the 144Hz display didn't change anything either.

It might be that the PC can't draw enough energy to power a high-end GPU, but I've already pulled two new power lines which haven't changed anything, so I strongly doubt it.

It may be a software issue, and even if I tried so many things, I may have passed by a few solutions.

If you have any solutions (please not too expensive, I invested everything I had in this PC) or ideas, I'm interested, I'm soooo mad about this...

Thank you for reading this post !!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Install a fresh Windows on another SSD
Where did you source the installer for the OS? As for your OS install, did you let the OS download and install drivers it thought was right for your platform? You're advised to install the OS in an offline mode, then manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

For the sake of clarity, what BIOS version are you on for your current motherboard?

Reactions: UltraSkara3000
Mar 4, 2024
Thanks for your reply !

I used the Windows Media Creation Tool to boot on an USB storage, found on the microsoft website.
I let windows install itself (yet I let the Ethernet cable plugged in, so it probably used internet to install?), then I used DDU in safe mode to remove graphics / audio drivers, and prevents windows to install new drivers via settings. Then I launched the AMD Adrenalin Installer (which needs an internet connection), with "factory reset" box ticked. At the end, I rebooted the PC, and reable the windows drivers auto update.

Is it a dangerous way to proceed ? I don't know how to install windows offline, is it doable with the media creation tool ?

My MOBO bios ver is FCd.

Here's a pic of what my BIOS look like.

Mar 4, 2024
Lil update : I changed my SATA cables as well as my RJ45, and I tried to unplug both molex auxiliary fans (to see if it was a bad cable issue), as well as every USB device save mouse & keyboard, but it did not change a thing.
Any ideas ?

TRENDING THREADS