Question High Field of View can ruin the frame rate/performance?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
I'm asking this because I have a low end computer, if I reduce the FOV to minimal, can I at least get a stable frame rate in games? Mostly in red dead redemption 2? I did read somewhere in other game that increased amount of fov can affect to the performance of the game.

Thank you in advance

Solution
It actually depends on the game though. The more the player can see, the more the computer has to do to render in those objects, therefore FPS will be lowered/impacted, if FOV is higher.

This is simply because the game will now have to render more of the world in front of you, it has to render more elements, Textures, Assets, etc.. This can be quickly measured and confirmed by looking at the increased load on your CPU/GPU while maxing your FOV.

FOV increase will actually stress the CPU culling and GPU vertex processing which typically are 5-15% of a normal frame. In culling, the CPU decides what needs to be sent to the GPU, so some games might be bound by drawcalls, so this is where FOV hurts FPS.
It actually depends on the game though. The more the player can see, the more the computer has to do to render in those objects, therefore FPS will be lowered/impacted, if FOV is higher.

This is simply because the game will now have to render more of the world in front of you, it has to render more elements, Textures, Assets, etc.. This can be quickly measured and confirmed by looking at the increased load on your CPU/GPU while maxing your FOV.

FOV increase will actually stress the CPU culling and GPU vertex processing which typically are 5-15% of a normal frame. In culling, the CPU decides what needs to be sent to the GPU, so some games might be bound by drawcalls, so this is where FOV hurts FPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019

That also confirms my things with Render Scale option as well, temps suddenly drops when I reduce that to %85 or so in some other games, Thank you so much for detailed reply sir, from now on I will consider reducing my FOV in triple AAA games. That is simply because my hardware is nearly 5+ years old. Thanks again

Reactions: Metal Messiah.