High FPS but drops cause game to stutter

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I have an Acer XB271HU monitor and I cap my FPS to 143 on every game so that G-SYNC works properly, but when my FPS drops to 130 or 120 my game feels like it freezes for a second before it jumps back to 143fps. What's this called? How do I solve it? I'm running a GTX 1080.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I always recommend checking the nvidia control panel power management option for games just in case. Sometimes when it is set to optimal the clock speed can lower during a game if it thinks it doesn't need to be running at max clock. This can sometimes cause frame drops.

You could also turn Gsync off and try it like that. i've heard that at high refresh rates Gsync doesn't help much and can hinder performance.

Edit: What CPU are you using? Is the CPU usage pegged?

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
CPU is around 40-60% usage. It's the GPU thats bottlenecking since it's around 90-100% usage. I switched from Optimal to Maximum Performance and nothing changed so I don't think power is an issue.

outofthesky

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
A shitty hard drive can slow things down as it stutters loading up scenes and such. Make sure to have nothing running in the background and to shut off your virus scanners like windows defender.