Question High FPS but extremely stuttery/choppy gameplay ?

Mar 12, 2022
Hello, thanks to anyone who could possibly assist me. You have my gratitude.
I have been facing this issue for months. My pc is fairly new, I bought it around 10 months ago, but ever since march, it started having some serious issues.

Beginning of march, my average fps for games nearly went down 80%, for absolute no reason. I had absolutely no idea why this happened, but I continued researching and ended up realizing that it was my core temps. I was really busy so I didn't use my PC much, and so I recently bought a cooler, and fixed that problem. My temps went from averaging 70-99c to now averaging 30-40, even when games that require high amounts of cpu usage are open.
I thought buying a new cooler would fix my problems, but I was mistaken. Sure, the cooler made it so that my PC wouldn't crash from the high amounts of temp and that my games would have A LOT higher fps now, but there was still a big problem. I have high fps again, but my games still feel extremely stuttery. I can not diagnose this problem, I don't know if its a problem with my monitor or with my system. My monitor is 165hz, and most the games I play run well over that, but it just feels like im playing on 30 hz. (this is my monitor https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s...isplayport-hdmi-black/6473700.p?skuId=6473700).

I checked everything, and my PC says I am on 165hz. I am 100% positive that I am running on 165hz, and not on 30hz, because whenever I switch to 144, or 60, or even 30 hz in my control panel or in my games, I can feel the difference. Even though my monitor is on 165hz, it feels like it is much worse. I recorded a small footage of what it feels like to play on my system, and this is the same for every shooter game. (and some fast moving pixel games)

Graphics card : Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
Processor : 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50Ghz (16 CPUs)
Memory : 16GB Ram , 8gb VRAM

This is the video - https://streamable.com/wkeuvs (might be hard to see)

and yes, before you ask, I am on 165hz, and I am sure it is selected. On some games, I run 165hz fine, but on most games, I don't.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What game is that?

My monitor is 165hz, and most the games I play run well over that, but it just feels like im playing on 30 hz.

Does visual smoothness improve if you limit fps in NvidiaCP to say 164? Frames over the refresh can make video choppy because those extra frames aren't making it to screen in time. Try limit fps.

Since you recorded internally, does visuals look the same if you watch on your phone? If monitor refresh + excessive fps is the issue then we wouldn't actually see that unless you record the monitor itself with a camera.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 12, 2022
What game is that?

Does visual smoothness improve if you limit fps in NvidiaCP to say 164? Frames over the refresh can make video choppy because those extra frames aren't making it to screen in time. Try limit fps.

Since you recorded internally, does visuals look the same if you watch on your phone? If monitor refresh + excessive fps is the issue then we wouldn't actually see that unless you record the monitor itself with a camera.

The game is Valorant. But, no matter what game it is, including Counter strike, or apex legends, any game really, I have this issue. I don't have it with league of legends, or games that don't require much to run i guess.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
Hello, thanks to anyone who could possibly assist me. You have my gratitude.
I have been facing this issue for months. My pc is fairly new, I bought it around 10 months ago, but ever since march, it started having some serious issues.

Beginning of march, my average fps for games nearly went down 80%, for absolute no reason. I had absolutely no idea why this happened, but I continued researching and ended up realizing that it was my core temps. I was really busy so I didn't use my PC much, and so I recently bought a cooler, and fixed that problem. My temps went from averaging 70-99c to now averaging 30-40, even when games that require high amounts of cpu usage are open.
I thought buying a new cooler would fix my problems, but I was mistaken. Sure, the cooler made it so that my PC wouldn't crash from the high amounts of temp and that my games would have A LOT higher fps now, but there was still a big problem. I have high fps again, but my games still feel extremely stuttery. I can not diagnose this problem, I don't know if its a problem with my monitor or with my system. My monitor is 165hz, and most the games I play run well over that, but it just feels like im playing on 30 hz. (this is my monitor https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s...isplayport-hdmi-black/6473700.p?skuId=6473700).

I checked everything, and my PC says I am on 165hz. I am 100% positive that I am running on 165hz, and not on 30hz, because whenever I switch to 144, or 60, or even 30 hz in my control panel or in my games, I can feel the difference. Even though my monitor is on 165hz, it feels like it is much worse. I recorded a small footage of what it feels like to play on my system, and this is the same for every shooter game. (and some fast moving pixel games)

Graphics card : Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
Processor : 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50Ghz (16 CPUs)
Memory : 16GB Ram , 8gb VRAM

This is the video - https://streamable.com/wkeuvs (might be hard to see)

and yes, before you ask, I am on 165hz, and I am sure it is selected. On some games, I run 165hz fine, but on most games, I don't.
Try dlss, or Nvidia's cloud gaming as a temporary solution.