[SOLVED] High FPS or Eye Candy

MiloshDr

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
Definitions
Eye Candy (Eye candy is a term used for visual elements displayed on computer monitors that are aesthetically appealing or attention-compelling)

FPS (Frames per second, measured usually in either 30fps. 75, 144, 240 or even higher)

Premise
Given a PC/GPU that is powerful enough to play a modern game at 240fps on a monitor with that refresh rate, but at the same time having to forgo stunning graphics in order to achieve that high frame rate (Example playing a game at 1080p but at lowest settings to achieve a 240 frame rate).

Does having less appealing graphics make up for 240fps gameplay and in a sense make it more enjoyable compared to more appealing graphics but at 60fps? In a competition sense, many would say yes, but would that also go for casual gaming too, or is that more solely dependent on the individual?

I have only experienced playing games on a 75hz monitor, even though I can get games to play over 200 FPS I know my monitor is only displaying 75 frames a second. So I am not seeing the extra frames provided, however I do not know if this is a placebo effect, but it really does seem that the gameplay "Feels" smoother don't know the word for it.

Purpose of this question
Since I have only experienced 75 fps gameplay, I am curious about playing on a monitor that is capable of higher frame rates. So if anyone has some input on this, it is highly appreciated. This may be more of a matter of trying it for myself, however I would like to hear other people's experiences.

Solution
As in everything, it depends.

Fast action games want fast graphics.
To that end, lowering graphics will get you better FPS

If you play more cpu centric and visual games such as sims, mmo and strategy games, you may appreciate higher quality images.

It turns out that fs2020 is very graphically demanding for high FPS, but in actuality 35FPS works well.

Games frame rate generation will be limited by either the graphics card or the processor.
Presentation of the frames may be limited by the monitor.
Any disparity between the two can show up as screen tearing or lag.
That issue is addressed by the presence of frame pacing such as g.sync. freesync, or by graphics driver buffering.
Here is a nice tutorial on that issue...

Lutfij

Titan
Eye candy, while also maintaining good(not high) FPS is my suggestion. Make and model of your display and the game you're looking to play? By today's standard's, 30 FPS will not cut it unless you're on a super duper low budget build. 60FPS is the minimum for me.

MiloshDr

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
Eye candy, while also maintaining good(not high) FPS is my suggestion. Make and model of your display and the game you're looking to play? By today's standard's, 30 FPS will not cut it unless you're on a super duper low budget build. 60FPS is the minimum for me.

Currently I am on laptop, it's a Asus 75hz monitor. However, I plan on building a PC which will be much more powerful, I may put a GTX 1060 6GB for the GPU. I plan on finding a good 144hz monitor or so.

Games:
Rainbow Six Siege
Tekken 7
BF1
GTA V
PUBG

As in everything, it depends.

Fast action games want fast graphics.
To that end, lowering graphics will get you better FPS

If you play more cpu centric and visual games such as sims, mmo and strategy games, you may appreciate higher quality images.

It turns out that fs2020 is very graphically demanding for high FPS, but in actuality 35FPS works well.

Games frame rate generation will be limited by either the graphics card or the processor.
Presentation of the frames may be limited by the monitor.
Any disparity between the two can show up as screen tearing or lag.
That issue is addressed by the presence of frame pacing such as g.sync. freesync, or by graphics driver buffering.
Here is a nice tutorial on that issue:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

Ultimately, I think the single thread performance of the master thread is what separates smooth performance from one that stutters.

Solution

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I tell you about my experiences with FPS. I can feel significant difference between under 50fps vs. over 50fps in all situations. over 60 fps I notice a difference if moving around real fast. Its very significant when moving around a 3rd person character. I can still feel a difference with 60fps vs 120fps but really only when moving around a 3rd person character. Its noticeable, but barely. I can't notice a difference between 120fps and 144fps (max of my monitor). Feels both the same to me.

Here is my sweet spot....I try to be at ~70 to 80 fps in average at highest graphics settings. If my frame rates are lower, I start decreasing some graphic settings. I don't lower graphics settings in order to push higher frame rates, since the fps benefit is not really noticeable to me.

I am not playing competitive online shooters. So I can't judge how the higher frame rate would help there.