[SOLVED] High frequency ram not working ??

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
I have a lenovo e41-15 laptop which supports upto 1600mhz 8GB ram. But i bought a 1866mhz ram instead of 1600mhz. When i install this ram the laptop is not booting. I thought the ram will be downclocked to supported frequency. I installed the ram in another laptop which supports high frequency ram (1866mhz ..maybe more) it is working fine. Why it is not working in my laptop??
What should I do to run the ram in my laptop ?? Help me please !!

Solution
I think that as long as you cannot boot your laptop with the 1866 MHz RAM, you can’t clock it down.

As your laptop specified on it’s own, it can only support up to 1600 MHz RAM. The only solution is to get your hands on 1600 MHz RAM

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
I think that as long as you cannot boot your laptop with the 1866 MHz RAM, you can’t clock it down.

As your laptop specified on it’s own, it can only support up to 1600 MHz RAM. The only solution is to get your hands on 1600 MHz RAM

Solution

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019

I found that laptops usually don't have an option to adjust ram speed in bios. But it should automatically downclock the ram right ? Thats what I found on the internet. But I don't know why my laptop is not doing it ! Anyway Im going to get a 1600mhz ram. But i just want to why it is not downclocking automatically?

lynx1021

Distinguished
It could be you laptop doesn't like that brand of memory, Crucial's memory for it is low voltage 1.35 volts. What did you buy?
Crucial lists
Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1866 SODIMM
CT102464BF186D Configuration ID: CT9951390 For your Laptop

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
It could be you laptop doesn't like that brand of memory, Crucial's memory for it is low voltage 1.35 volts. What did you buy?
Crucial lists
Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1866 SODIMM
CT102464BF186D Configuration ID: CT9951390 For your Laptop

I bought a ram with same specs as crucial's (Brand - Zifei).
Ram pics LINK :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=16oBX_jqCBFv9zUsvHZInKrNX5vpIenPy

But since my processor supports upto 1600mhz of ram it is not working in my laptop (I guess my laptop doesn't do downclocking).

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
I found that laptops usually don't have an option to adjust ram speed in bios. But it should automatically downclock the ram right ? Thats what I found on the internet. But I don't know why my laptop is not doing it ! Anyway Im going to get a 1600mhz ram. But i just want to why it is not downclocking automatically?

It's probably not downclocking because it NEEDS to boot first. If it doesn't boot, your laptop can't acces the bios to downclock it. Software is needed to downclock RAM. It's either that or your laptop just doesn't like the brand, as lynx1021 stated earlier.

VickyTech

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
You said "I bought a ram with same specs as crucial's" That is not correct because Crucial does not publish all it specs that a person would need to match it up to another brand. They don't tell you if it Rank 1 or 2
I understood. I checked amazon's customer images section for crucial's product, where cpuz shows Dual Rank. The ram i bought is also a dual rank ( 2R×8).
Many say that single rank memory is faster than dual rank. But almost all brands including crucial and samsung sell only dual rank modules. I can't even find a single rank module in amazon.

Last edited: