High GPU temp after Win7 install

scottyroberts

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Hi, I hope someone can help with what I feel is a software problem not a hardware one.

Problem: High GPU temperature (76-81 degrees) after a fresh install of Win7. GPU is a Radeon HD 4850 (I know it's old)

Details:
- I did a fresh install (format hard drive, install) of Windows 7, I previously had Vista on this computer, exactly same hardware (it's a bit old but still works fine)
- I cleaned inside the computer a couple of days before installing Win7 and during the time between still using Vista post-cleaning and installing Win7 the GPU temp was not any higher than normal, it is only after installing Win7 that the temp has jumped so radically
- I have used Speed Fan, Real Temp and HWMonitor - they all report the same temps for CPU/GPU, CPU temp is mid-30s, this is normal for this computer, CPU temps have not changed at all.
- I have installed the most up to date drivers from AMD website along with with Catalyst Control Center
- I have disabled Aero and a few other bells and whistles in Windows appearance.

The GPU itself doesn't feel too hot when I put my hand under it, but something is immediately making the the temperature so high even when nothing is running to make it do so. I've had a look on google and a few other threads on this forum but haven't found a solution yet.

Can anyone help?

ak195

Distinguished
Check is there any program or something in background that is putting load on your GPU, you can check it in END-TASK Manager. Also check your fan is properly rotating (i.e. check its RPM).
Also check temps in Bios and if temp is same then again re-install the GPU in its slot. I can't quickly say that there is some sensor problem.

scottyroberts

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

Thanks for your replies. I'm looking in task manager, how do I know if any of the processes are putting load on the GPU?

I don't know how to check the RPM either, though the fan is definately rotating..

ak195

Distinguished
First check GPU Load. Use GPUZ to see it. If GPU load is high without any gaming or another task then there is driver problem or some application is putting load on it. In my opinion, you have to uninstall full graphics drivers, restart and then install new one (If any new version came then install it or try one that is before the new version but don't again install this one, you are currently using).

scottyroberts

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

GPU load is at 0% with only Firefox running (one tab) running, so I will try uninstalling the drivers and doing as you say. Will report back back I've done that. Thanks for your help.

scottyroberts

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Right I uninstall AMD Catalyst Control Center and then used Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode to get rid of any remnants left over (read in another thread it was a good idea).

After all that, when I rebooted Speed Fan no longer even lists the GPU temperature (it's missing from the list and so is the fan speed control). But HWMonitor still recognises it and it is just as high as before (early 80s) but without being able to control the fan I can't bump that down to high 70s as I was before with SpeedFan.

This makes me consider the possibility that I couldn't see the GPU temp in SpeedFan when I had Vista installed - it was only the flame symbol that made me realise it was there. I can't honestly say either way if it ever saw the GPU temp before I installed Win7. Could my GPU have been running this high for the past few years with no problems or is it more likely that the high temperature of mid-70s to 80s is a new thing?

The GPU fan is running at a normal volume level to what I remember and it is working. I'm more confused now than when I started!

pcgaming98

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Guys. He said he put his hand near the GPU and it was pretty cool. If it was as hot as the heat sensors say it is, he'd most definitely feel it. I can definitely feel my CPU at 60C. If it aint the Windows 7 installation that drove the heat sensors AWOL, then it must've been the drivers, if FanSpeed isnt detecting temps anymore.