Question High GPU temps (75c-85c) ?

Jul 24, 2024
Hey all, so recently I got my hands on an XFX RX 580 2048sp, it runs fine for most games as I don't really play that much AAA or graphically demanding games that much, but I've noticed that this card runs hot on more demanding games, averaging around 75-85,.

so far I haven't really went more than an hour with these temps as I immediately exit the game due to being anxious about those temperatures, I've repasted it with GC Gelid Extreme and the temps so far are still the same.

I've heard from others that this is normal with Polaris GPUs and the fact that my room has no windows and ambient temps hover around 28-31 degrees Celsius.

What I wanted to know is if this is just normal for this card and I am just being paranoid or there's something wrong with it ?

PC specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400G
GPU: XFX RX 580 2048sp 8GB
RAM: 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz
PSU: Acer AC650

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
Your temps are in range.
But since you don't know the history of the card i strongly advise you to repaste it as soon as possible.
If you don't feel comfortable with that take it to some1 who can do that.
You will see at least 5degrees improvement.
Your old paste does not act any longer as it should so ofc your temps are a bit higher then expected but non the less they are in range.

Jul 24, 2024
Hello.
Your temps are in range.
But since you don't know the history of the card i strongly advise you to repaste it as soon as possible.
If you don't feel comfortable with that take it to some1 who can do that.
You will see at least 5degrees improvement.
Your old paste does not act any longer as it should so ofc your temps are a bit higher then expected but non the less they are in range.
forgot to mention that the card is already repasted with GC Gelid Extreme and no temp difference had been found

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
yes my card is the blackwolf edition from XFX
The finstack is aimed at the front and the back; these are the paths the gpu's waste heat exhausts from.
The rear generally isn't a problem, unless blocked off by mistake.
The front, on the other hand, clashes with front intakes, which leads to:
-recycling of some waste heat back into gpu cooler.
-the cooler's capability to remove waste heat is reduced, due to the turbulent space at the front.

It's a battle against physics: you can work with the airflow through the gpu cooler, or against it. Traditional cases, or case layouts work against these front and rear exhausting coolers. To go out of the way to get a whole 'nother case is a bit much though.

Reactions: Imperat0r
Graphics cards will target a operating temperature like 80c. and then ramp up clocks until they reach that temperature.
Your temperatures seem normal.
Because your room temperature starts at 30c. you are severely hampered.
Inside the case, the ambient that the gpu gets is higher, likely more like 50c.
What can you do?
Open the door to your room and get a house fan to exhaust the hot air.
What is the make/model of your case?
Look to higher airflow options to get the hot air out of your case.