[SOLVED] High GPU temps, Am I doing something wrong?

Jul 18, 2021
Hey all, I've recently just built my first proper PC and I've began to experiencing some high temps especially on my GPU whereas my CPU remains relatively normal.
So my GPU Idles around 47 - 52 Degrees celsius and when playing a game such as Dishonored 2 the temps go upwards all the way to 80 Degrees celsius.
Alongside this, when testing my computer through Unigine I reach temps of 80 Degrees too.

One possibly important thing to mention, when looking at afterburner my memory clock will also randomly shoot up from 405 Mhz all the way to 7000, this is the same with the GPU clock, as it will randomly go from 330 to some extremely high number even on Idle. (This can be seen on the provided Screenshot)

Are these abnormal readings or am I just overthinking?
I apologise If its something simple or if I'm overthinking it all. I'm just a little cautious as it's my first computer.

I'd try provide all the correct details where I can alongside with pictures of my PC.

PC SPECS:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 2060
RAM:16GB 3200 RAM
MOBO:MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II
CASE: Meshify C Case
PSU: Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU

Pictures of fan placements etc:
Pictures here
I'm not sure if it's worth it or not, but here are my GPU setting through MSI After Burner.
Here

If you need anymore infomation please do ask.

Thank you all in advance.

Solution
I believe the fan speed is set to auto, so i guess it changes depending on the temperature?
Seems to me the GPU is riding right on the temperature limit. Modern GPUs do that -- as long as they have thermal (and power) headroom, they'll kick up the clocks until either limits are hit.

What power setting is being used in Nvidia control panel? The boosting under idle could be funky power behavior from that. The default should be prefer maximum performance --boosting when needed, but idling properly. Contrast to say, maximum performance where maximum power is held onto at all times.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I believe the fan speed is set to auto, so i guess it changes depending on the temperature?
Seems to me the GPU is riding right on the temperature limit. Modern GPUs do that -- as long as they have thermal (and power) headroom, they'll kick up the clocks until either limits are hit.

What power setting is being used in Nvidia control panel? The boosting under idle could be funky power behavior from that. The default should be prefer maximum performance --boosting when needed, but idling properly. Contrast to say, maximum performance where maximum power is held onto at all times.

Solution
Jul 18, 2021

First off, thank you for the extremely helpful infomation. I seriously appreciate it.

One interesting thing I did notice is that when looking into a custom fan curve I saw when it reached 70 degrees the fan speed was not on 100% and instead on something like 70% or 80%.
After changing it so when temperatures hit 70 degrees the fan speed would go to 100%.

When testing dishonored 2 again on ultra settings my temperatures maxed out at 74 which is a pretty large drop.
Though I do plan to do some more testing soon.

I just found it a little odd that 100% fan speed was defaulted at something like 90 degrees.