Question High GPU temps when gaming (~ 90 degrees)

Nov 1, 2020
I temporarily upgraded from an integrated card to an R7 250 which has boosted gaming performance significantly but I noticed that the GPU usually runs at 85-88 degrees and reaches 91-93 at the heaviest of instances.

For example Assassin's Creed 2 on max settings runs at 50-60fps at ~80 degrees. Sniper Elite 3 and GTA Online on the other hand can often be at 90 despite giving the same fps.

When idle the GPU runs at 38-40 degrees. Is this normal and what can I do to lower the temperatures? Would installing fans in my case help?

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Also, prior to dropping in the discrete GPU, did you use DDU to remove the iGPU drivers? Then reinstalled the latest GPU drivers using that found off of AMD's support site? You should try installing said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Ambient room air temps and the make and model of your case + case airflow?

Apr 26, 2021
I bought the card used and plan on using it for 3-4 months until I upgrade. Is gaming at 90 degress dangerous or is it just higher than usual?
It's actually dangerous for GPU. Although it doesn't consume very high power, it is not usual to go up to 90 degrees.

When the card reaches 90 degrees, it decreases the frequency in order to prevent possible hardware damage. So it kind of brakes. As it decreases the frequency, the performance decreases.

Set a custom fan profile on the Afterburner, run the fans at full speed continuously, and observe the temperature like this.

Nov 1, 2020
It's actually dangerous for GPU. Although it doesn't consume very high power, it is not usual to go up to 90 degrees.

When the card reaches 90 degrees, it decreases the frequency in order to prevent possible hardware damage. So it kind of brakes. As it decreases the frequency, the performance decreases.

Set a custom fan profile on the Afterburner, run the fans at full speed continuously, and observe the temperature like this.
Would applying new thermal paste help? What about getting a case fan?

Nov 1, 2020
Having a case fan will be effective in lowering the temperature inside the case as it will expel hot air, but it will not cool the card directly.
I think applying thermal paste to the GPU chip will fix the problem.
I underclocked the card slightly using MSI Afterburner. The temps are 81-86 and the fps drop is only slight. I guess that alright?