[SOLVED] High GPU Usage - RTX 2080 - >90%

brent.cole

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
I’ve had a weird anomaly today where my GPU usage spikes and stays around 95% in game (CPU spikes to near 100%, also odd)

Anyways my setup is:

I7-9700k overclocked to 4.7
RTX 2080
Gigabyte Aorus Pro-CF

I’m gaming on a 5120x1440 monitor but my game is only set to 2560x1440, windowed and on medium settings. I noticed no difference in spikes when lowering to 1080

I’ve clean installed new and older version drivers as well.

Temps are good, don’t see any thermal throttling.

Any ideas why the GPU usage is so high, as well as my CPU? Makes no sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solution
As a rule of thumb, the CPU work harder at low resolution, GPU will work harder at high, BUT this is very dependent on how the game was written. The GPU will work as hard as it can at any resolution, so running at a high percentage generally only means that the CPU (or some other part of your computer) isn't holding it back. And that's a good thing :)

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
The GPU this way runs both the desktop and the game at the same time.

If the game is lightweight and you run nothing else at the same time, you could be malware infected. That would explain the high CPU usage. I also assume this issue is a persistent one and NOT a one time thing only.

brent.cole

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
The GPU this way runs both the desktop and the game at the same time.

If the game is lightweight and you run nothing else at the same time, you could be malware infected. That would explain the high CPU usage. I also assume this issue is a persistent one and NOT a one time thing only.

Yes it’s persistent. I tried different settings with no luck. Before I went to bed I ran a full avast and malware bytes to see.

If the GPU is maxing out though it’ll lag my game right? Or it has been. Maybe the combo if cpu/gpu being high did this.

I run the game at a lower rez so if I stream I can have multiple windows.

And it could boil down to the game (destiny 2) is using like 75% cpu at times and I have no idea why.

What a mess.....

brent.cole

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
The game won't lag if you have high GPU usage. In general if the FPS is uncapped the GPU will run at 99% all the time.

Is CPU usage that high only with Destiny 2?

FPS is capped at 120. I’ve yet to test another game. Plan to after work, this was my next step! :)

brent.cole

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
I mean thats a possibility. I've read some threads where people with similar setups are a much lower CPU; and with it that high I can't stream, itll max the whole time!

Shouldn't lowering to 1920x1080 decrease usage of CPU?

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Run the game fullscreen windowed is always more demanding, but I begin to question the overall power of the Turing series here. I personally don't think there is any issue with your system, that's all it can handle honestly.

Do you have one monitor or multiple monitors?

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Also what is the frequency of the monitor? If it is 60 cap the frame rate there and you should have some headroom for streaming.

I start to think that we have been misled as consumers, you should not have any problems running this game at just 1440p resolution with this powerful setup.

brent.cole

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
Also what is the frequency of the monitor? If it is 60 cap the frame rate there and you should have some headroom for streaming.

I start to think that we have been misled as consumers, you should not have any problems running this game at just 1440p resolution with this powerful setup.

I have a 49” Samsung CRG9 5120x1440 @120fps

It does fine at full resolution

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Run it fullscreen at 2560x1440 and make sure the aspect ratio stays the same and the GPU doesn't strech the image(by default it keeps the current aspect ratio on my GTX 970 but 2 generations apart many things change).

Most streamers by default run their games fullscreen then do some tricks with OBS or similar software to add overlays on top of their games.

P.S: What a MONSTER of a monitor you have!

brent.cole

Prominent
Jul 23, 2018
Run it fullscreen at 2560x1440 and make sure the aspect ratio stays the same and the GPU doesn't strech the image(by default it keeps the current aspect ratio on my GTX 970 but 2 generations apart many things change).

Most streamers by default run their games fullscreen then do some tricks with OBS or similar software to add overlays on top of their games.

P.S: What a MONSTER of a monitor you have!

I love the monitor! Thanks!

I had it smaller screen so I could have multiple windows open

As a rule of thumb, the CPU work harder at low resolution, GPU will work harder at high, BUT this is very dependent on how the game was written. The GPU will work as hard as it can at any resolution, so running at a high percentage generally only means that the CPU (or some other part of your computer) isn't holding it back. And that's a good thing :)

Solution