Question High idle/browsing CPU temperatures

Koeynig

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
Hello guys,
about 6 months ago I bought "gaming" PC HP Pavilion Gaming TG01. Temperatures were quite high when using stock fans. I decided to update its cooling system and I replaced stock fans by Noctua fans. Idle/browsing CPU temperatures did not exceed 60°C and PC was quiet enough. Load temp were in range 80-85°C at most.
However few days ago I noticed that PC is little bit louder than usual. 30 minutes ago I checked CPU temps and it was(or still is) at +/- 72°C. I also ran CPU stress test and temp did not exceed 82°C. It was just 5 minutes test though(back then when I was applying thermal paste and when I applied it the wrong way and when I ran load test, temps reached +90°C in just matter of several seconds so therefore 5 minutes was just enough for me). All fans are spinning. Could you help me please and tell what might be wrong ? Clean it with air compressor ? Replace thermal paste ?
PS: I had hand surgery few days ago so basically I can't do much right now at all with my PC.

Koeynig

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
Today.......what are idle temps?

Today.......what are load temps?

Have you taken a look at BIOS fan control settings?

What CPU cooler are you using?

So when I turned on my PC, I checked CPU temps immediately. / I use HWMonitor for that/. It was showing about 55°C. I have been using PC for more than one hour now(+20 chrome tabs open, but only browsing) and temp is now at 72°C.
There seem to be NO fan control settings in BIOS - only RPM status. Load temp as usual, +/- 84°C at most.
In terms of CPU colller, it is Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile. In my PC case there are all only Noctua fans -> one intake, one exhaust and one cpu cooler.(It's mini tower case)

55 degrees on startup is definitely not good if accurate, although you do imply temps were lower in the past.

What app do you use for "load" test?

Google says that HP case is only 6 inches wide, a foot deep, and 13 inches high.....so I guess you were forced into a low profile cooler. Quite a small case, so it may have poor airflow generally...that can be tough to combat.

I have not kept up with low profile coolers so I don't know how your particular Noctua rates in that category.

Also guess you have a recent generation 5000 series AMD processor with integrated graphics. I'm not sure how much heat they generate. I assume you do not have a separate video card.

What Noctua case fans do you have?

Noctuas generally are known for low noise...some more than others. If they are running at say under 1500 rpm they simply may not be moving enough air.

Provide more details on fan RPM, full model number, how many, and where they are mounted.

Thermal paste or bad cooler mounting is always a possibility, but more details on the case fans first.

Koeynig

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
55 degrees on startup is definitely not good if accurate, although you do imply temps were lower in the past.

What app do you use for "load" test?

Google says that HP case is only 6 inches wide, a foot deep, and 13 inches high.....so I guess you were forced into a low profile cooler. Quite a small case, so it may have poor airflow generally...that can be tough to combat.

I have not kept up with low profile coolers so I don't know how your particular Noctua rates in that category.

Also guess you have a recent generation 5000 series AMD processor with integrated graphics. I'm not sure how much heat they generate. I assume you do not have a separate video card.

What Noctua case fans do you have?

Noctuas generally are known for low noise...some more than others. If they are running at say under 1500 rpm they simply may not be moving enough air.

Provide more details on fan RPM, full model number, how many, and where they are mounted.

Thermal paste or bad cooler mounting is always a possibility, but more details on the case fans first.
I use MSI kombustor and stress test profile called PhysX4 CPU - hard. In terms of CPU cooler - I could mount there bigger CPU cooler but I wasn't 100% sure if It would fit there so I went for the smaller one. Also, there is a separate video card RTX 3060.
I bought this PC like 6 months ago when GPUs were kind of hard to get and unfortunately I found out after purchase that this case has quite bad airflow and it's not that suitable for gaming. However I didn't pay that much money for this rig so it was a good deal for me.
Case fans are Noctua NF-A9 PWM.
As I mentioned before - when I was applying thermal paste I did it correctly maybe on the fourth attempt. When I applied it wrong, CPU temps just "skyrocketed".
Maybe you can just check this youtube video here, I did everything the same - and you can see where the fans are mounted as well..

And one more thing, why it shows me 0% fans values here ? I've just visually checked all fans and they're all spinning.
fans

Your case is not a good one for airflow.
And, your parts are relatively hot.
I presume you are using the noctua fans which are 92mm for front intake and rear exhaust. Dangle a tissue to verify fan airflow direction.

You can not likely change out the case. HP uses proprietary parts.

HWmonitor shows some 250 rpm for the cpu fan. The minimum operating speed for that fan is 600 rpm and up to 2500 rpm.
If you used the low noise adapter, the speed would be 1800 rpm.
Something is wrong there.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65/specification

55c. seems high for idle temperatures, but ryzen never seems to go truly idle so you may be ok.

You motherboard may not be using pwm fan control, hence 0 numbers for that.
I see only one case fan speed.
Are both fans connected via a splitter?
A splitter needs to disconnect one of the fan speed sensing wires to give a proper speed reading.

Still, at the end of the day, it would seem that you are not throttling so perhaps all is really ok.

Koeynig

Commendable
Dec 3, 2021
Your case is not a good one for airflow.
And, your parts are relatively hot.
I presume you are using the noctua fans which are 92mm for front intake and rear exhaust. Dangle a tissue to verify fan airflow direction.

You can not likely change out the case. HP uses proprietary parts.

HWmonitor shows some 250 rpm for the cpu fan. The minimum operating speed for that fan is 600 rpm and up to 2500 rpm.
If you used the low noise adapter, the speed would be 1800 rpm.
Something is wrong there.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65/specification

55c. seems high for idle temperatures, but ryzen never seems to go truly idle so you may be ok.

You motherboard may not be using pwm fan control, hence 0 numbers for that.
I see only one case fan speed.
Are both fans connected via a splitter?
A splitter needs to disconnect one of the fan speed sensing wires to give a proper speed reading.

Still, at the end of the day, it would seem that you are not throttling so perhaps all is really ok.
Intake Fan and CPU cooler fan should be connected together via a splitter and exhaust fan should be connected directly to a port. -> open the yt video I shared above and start it from 08:00. Basically I did the same. I do not want to open the case right now because as I mentioned before I had a hand surgery so I have to wait a few more days..
In terms of airflow direction everything seems to be alright.
Yesterday I was playing CS:GO for about 30 minutes and CPU max temp reached 82°C (I think temp was little bit lower few months ago). However I'm not sure about one thing. If I remember correctly then CPU fan cooler max speed was only +/- 500RPM. I have never messed with FAN RPM setttings. Is there a way to increase its speed ?