[SOLVED] High idle RAM usage

Solution
My understanding is that Windows will use more RAM to cache more system files, as long as the RAM is available.

In other words, the more RAM you have, the more system files Windows will load into RAM to get them ready in advance, rather than loading them from the SSD at the time they're needed.

How much RAM do you have? Windows is using 4.5 GB out of how many?

I've got 512 GB of RAM - yes, 512 GB of RAM - and my system idles at 19 GB of RAM usage.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
My understanding is that Windows will use more RAM to cache more system files, as long as the RAM is available.

In other words, the more RAM you have, the more system files Windows will load into RAM to get them ready in advance, rather than loading them from the SSD at the time they're needed.

I've got 512 GB of RAM - yes, 512 GB of RAM - and my system idles at 19 GB of RAM usage.

Reactions: Zyarc
Solution

Zyarc

Prominent
Jul 17, 2021

Oh my..
Okay, i get it now.. Thank you for telling me :D
This info got me good

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Okay, 4 GB idle relative to 8 GB total seems high.

Check Task Manager, "Processes" tab, and click "Memory" to sort by memory usage. (When you click it once, it might sort lowest->highest, so click a second time to sort highest->lowest.) See which programs are using the most.

Also, in Task Manager, check under the "Startup" tab to see if there are any suspicious programs starting up when you boot.

If you still can't identify any culprits, then start a minimal Windows boot. Go to Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" -> General tab -> Diagnostic startup. This will start up only essential Windows services. See if the RAM usage is lower then.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Check Task Manager, "Processes" tab, and click "Memory" to sort by memory usage. (When you click it once, it might sort lowest->highest, so click a second time to sort highest->lowest.) See which programs are using the most.

Also, in Task Manager, check under the "Startup" tab to see if there are any suspicious programs starting up when you boot.

If you still can't identify any culprits, then start a minimal Windows boot. Go to Start -> Run -> type "msconfig" -> General tab -> Diagnostic startup. This will start up only essential Windows services. See if the RAM usage is lower then.
Seems normal to me my system is using about 5 right now

Zyarc

Prominent
Jul 17, 2021

Ok, thanks