Question High-ish GPU Usage, Low-ish CPU usage. Whats the limiting factor?

Jun 18, 2020
My question is, Why is neither my GPU or CPU usage maxed out to give me more frames? It's not like I need more than 300 anyway. But out of curiosity, what is the ''Bottleneck'' if neither the GPU or CPU is Maxed out?

My FPS fluctuates between 280-380 fps. CPU usage stays below 40% and GPU usage stays between 60% and 70%. And this is on unlimited FPS.

The game is fortnite and here are my specs:

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 VENTUS, Stock
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600, Not-overclocked, Stock cooler
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 4 Series 3200Mhz 2x8GB
Mobo: MSI B450m Pro m-2

D

Deleted member 1272431

My question is, Why is neither my GPU or CPU usage maxed out to give me more frames? It's not like I need more than 300 anyway. But out of curiosity, what is the ''Bottleneck'' if neither the GPU or CPU is Maxed out?

My FPS fluctuates between 280-380 fps. CPU usage stays below 40% and GPU usage stays between 60% and 70%. And this is on unlimited FPS.

The game is fortnite and here are my specs:

GPU: MSI RTX 2070 VENTUS, Stock
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600, Not-overclocked, Stock cooler
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 4 Series 3200Mhz 2x8GB
Mobo: MSI B450m Pro m-2

280-380 fps?? You sure you are running that high? And you are positive your monitor has over a 300 refresh rate?
Let’s get to the point. The answer is easy: you won’t know the difference. If I put you in front of 5 monitorS, at 1000, 800, 600, 400 and 200 FPS you likely won’t be able to tell the difference.
You can do a research on that point which I won’t explain here. This is the logical explanation.
From a technical point, no hardware will ever really “max out”. The processor must allow for other system processes to run and have some overhead to avoid freezing. What’s the point of delivering 200fps if the system crashes?

D

Deleted member 1272431

As a side note, you can set your GPU to go in OC to exploit it more although you are making it “suffer” a bit more. And you can do the same with the CPU.

Jun 18, 2020
As a side note, you can set your GPU to go in OC to exploit it more although you are making it “suffer” a bit more. And you can do the same with the CPU.
My point is exactly, the CPU nor the GPU is "suffering". Even though I set Unlimited fps. And to answer your first comment, I don't have a monitor with 300 Hz refresh rate, but I'm still curious to why I can't get more frames.

D

Deleted member 1272431

The GPU won’t have much to do with that, that’s why you have a GPU btw.
So I assume you have setted power limit and temperature limit to the maximum in your control panel and brought up the core speed right?