Question High latency spikes

Dec 4, 2020
I have cox ultimate internet 500 mbps download and 10 mbps upload. Coaix cable is running to Arris SBG-83000 gateway to pole outside my home. I am plugged in via ethernet Cat6 cable.

I can't even game comfortably because this latency spike is always at random. I "rubberband" in game and it is very frustrating. Attached are screenshots of modem, traceroute, etc.

Please help.

Reactions: thewalleprod

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Ya you shouldn’t have any problems. But ya, what are all devices connected to the network? A cellphone... well it can use all 500 mbps.. are you directly wired to the modem/router? Even then, what are you gaming on? PC? I mean I can game on 4 mbps on 4 wireless routers in a basement, when in fact the modem/router is upstairs and uptime is 99.9 percent and sometimes 100 percent. Sometimes a ping spike only happy for a extremely short period but the max I’ve seen in a 8 hour test with 802.11 G was 250 ms. This is in relation to my favorite gaming server in the same country. Average ms is about 44 ms, which pretty much what I always see and feel.

without information of your entire network set up and what you are using the main device for. 500 mbps... well the only benefit to that is downloading digital content fast.

cause the reality of the situation is you have 80 MBps which is equal to 500 mbps... well I ran 7 devices on 6 mbps and non of them had problems so.. what’s the network set up and how many devices?