Question High memory consumption & disk checking?

Mar 10, 2020
Hi Guys, I'm having an issue with my computer that has been going on for a bit of time now, and I'm hoping you can help me out.

When using my computer normally, my memory consumption will continue to rise and rise - while closing a program or app might lower it by a couple %, the memory will never go down to normal levels and will, just continue to fill at a fairly quick rate. This forces me to have to restart the computer.

Some things will make the memory consumption go up faster (downloading with applications such as the Steam or Battle.net client, using Chrome) the memory will do this irregardless. If I go to the start menu to reset the computer, often the computer will start up with an unreasonably high memory consumption (like 80%+), so generally when this occurs I close down all open programs and then use the reset button. I've done a memtest in the past which yielded no results.

Lately, upon start up the computer will now sometimes run a disk check, which is something it wasn't really doing previously. So I guess my question is 2 part; firstly, any ideas on what is causing the memory to be consumed so fast? Secondly, is having to use the reset button when this occurs (so fairly frequently) doing any damage to my PC?

Some information about my build:

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97x-Gaming 7
CPU - Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.0 GHz
RAM - G.Skill 16 GB (2x 8GB) 1330.22 MHz DDR3 (9-9-9-24 timings)

Thanks!

Possible memory leak. Are you running the Killer Network Suite?

If so download just the bare drivers:

goto: https://support.killernetworking.com/software/

Look for " drivers only package" I would use the INF version , unpack it, and install through device manager, but there is an executable available (I've never tried that on any computers)

Once you have that , uninstall the ENTIRE killer network suite
Reboot
Install the correct driver as necessary.

Reactions: beers
Mar 10, 2020
Possible memory leak. Are you running the Killer Network Suite?

If so download just the bare drivers:

goto: https://support.killernetworking.com/software/

Look for " drivers only package" I would use the INF version , unpack it, and install through device manager, but there is an executable available (I've never tried that on any computers)

Once you have that , uninstall the ENTIRE killer network suite
Reboot
Install the correct driver as necessary.

On my PC I do have the Killer Network Manager! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it. Sorry if it's a silly question, but, why install the drivers before uninstalling completely?

After uninstalling, I install the INF drivers package again, but not the Killer Suite? Also, on the page you shared, there's an uninstaller tool, as well as a diagnostic tool. Is it worth using either of those?

Thanks again!

You are mainly downloading the driver only package to make sure you have them locally before uninstalling the suite (which uninstalls the drivers as well)

I guess I should clarify:
  1. Make sure you have a locally available copy of the drivers.
  2. Un install the ENTIRE suite. Uninstalling from add/remove programs used to be sufficient.
  3. Reboot
  4. See if just the driver is picked up and reinstalled for network connectivity
If not, use you local copy of the driver files. I like the INF packages as you know what you are getting, instead of things that might be bundled in an EXE installer.
5. Confirm NO Killer Software is running in the background.

I would not worry about the miscellaneous programs.

While there is the possibility of other issues. Any board with Killer networking hardware, running on the bare drivers can often fix the problem. This doesn't occur for everyone, but it occurs for enough people that it is a known issue and troubleshooting step.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
As above some component is leaking memory, what other apps do you have open, and do you have any other peripherals that have installed apps like G-Hub or similar? It may be worth removing things one at a time until you have a super-base installation so you can see which component it is specifically.

I had a Logitech issue like that with Windows 8.1, the G930 suite would memory leak until all of the capacity was allocated through 24 GB.

Reactions: SpedeKing
Jun 8, 2020
i tried to do that as well... from apps to be uninstalled to re formated. and still nothing ... i closed everything and not even under 10 sill at 20% memory use