[SOLVED] High Memory/Gpu clock speeds on Rtx 3080 normal on idle??

Sep 28, 2021
Hey people, so I recently got an Msi Ventus Rtx 3080 and was a little bit spooked by some of the clock speeds of the Gpu/Memory Clocks. Gpu sits idle at 1740Mhz and memory at 9500Mhz with ~95 watts on idle. Is this normal and of any concern? I messed around with some of the power settings like balanced and high performance but it stays the same. I referenced this back to a friends Rtx 3070 and his idles at 30 watts with way lower clock speeds until he boots up a game obviously. Still a bit new to PC gaming as a whole so any help with this would be greatly appreciated <3

Solution
Check task manager to see what programs are using the GPU. Usually a GPU will clock itself up when needed to maintain performance of an application. You may have some program that uses hardware acceleration a lot more than you would suspect it would.
Sep 28, 2021
No im currently running 1 1440 144hz monitor. Reckon it has something to do with Nvidia Control Panel? Read some similar forums about older cards with the same issue

Check task manager to see what programs are using the GPU. Usually a GPU will clock itself up when needed to maintain performance of an application. You may have some program that uses hardware acceleration a lot more than you would suspect it would.

Solution
Sep 28, 2021
Just figured it out, there was a background app ramping it up but not by much, then i checked Nvidia control panel and had it set to max performance lol. Got it in the end guys thanks so much for all the helpful info!

Reactions: helper800