Question High motherboard and CPU temperature - Asus Z170-PRO gaming DDR4 and i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz, used

Sep 22, 2023
Hi,
I have an issue with my motherboard and CPU temperature, in particular while gaming.

I noticed up to 99°C on the MoBo and 90°C on the CPU on heavy load, with stuttering and freezes here and there.

My rig:
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz (used 1 year, stock heat sink if I recall well)
R.A.M.: 24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1336MHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-PRO (LGA1151, used 1 year)
GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 OC (MSI)
Storage: Hitachi HGST (SATA ) and Samsung SSD 980
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE 700 White 230V V2
Case: Cooler Master Box E500L with stock back fan 120mm

Now, I still have to apply the new thermal paste, and I was thinking about a good airflow with 4 more fans (the front supports up to two 120mm/140mm fans and the top supports up to two 120mm fans). Any suggestions for these?

Anyway, I wanted to try to fix this issue beforehand, if possible. I might have to return the CPU and the MoBo, but I have no warranty, so I would need to argue with someone...

I used HWiNFO64 and aida64extreme, and these are the results:
aida64 - Full HWiNFO64 .CSV report, started before aida64, ended right after it.

What can I do?

Thanks, everyone, in advance.

Ideal case fan config for most of the normal cases is intake on the front, exhaust on rear and top.
I would run any K procesor on the stock cooler, i even run my stock 3770K on a 25euro cpu cooler and it outperforms the stock one by a lot. I applied the Arctic thermal paste that came with the cooler and its idle temps are around 40C and load doesnt get higher over 80C, not the best but certainly not the worst.
Even a $20 cpu cooler like this one will outperform the stock one.
Repaste the CPU, buy smth like this $20 cpu cooler, improve case airflow and you will be all good.
90C on the motherboard isnt ideal, but its in within limits, i guarantee it will improve once you improve cpu/case airflow.

Reactions: Camperkira