High Performance Video Encoding Using Nvidia GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Except GPU encoding has yet to produce the same quality as x264. Sure if your uploading to Youtube or some other stream sites and just need a h.264 stream quick and dirty it will look ok. If you want better results, then use those cuda to hardware accelerate the decoding of streams to feed to x264. x264 does have a fast encoding times if you use the basic settings, and those can churn out h.264 streams rather quick, and look closer to the original by a large factor compared to GPU encoding.

See GPU encoding can't encode 10bit, they also take short cuts on what all profiles and settings are allowed to be feed. In fact the last time I tried to use a GPU, it had no settings to change what so ever, just input, output, resolution, You couldn't even select DXVA compliant!

So please be kind to your archive of high quality encodes and choose a trusted encoder front end for x264. I recommend MeGUI or Handbreak

~Majorlag

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Another issue is decreased stability when GPU acceleration is activated. On Youtube, sometimes the videos turn out to be plain green with audio, Firefox/IE/Chrome locks up, or cause an OS hard-lock.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
High Performance != High Quality. Even though the ability to offload to the GPU has existed for well over 6 years, the quality is still really bad in comparisons to the much slower CPU encoding. At this point it's hard to tell whether it's the hardware or software that is the problem, but much work needs to be done to even consider GPU based encoding given the noticeable quality difference.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]majorlag[/nom]Except GPU encoding has yet to produce the same quality as x264. Sure if your uploading to Youtube or some other stream sites and just need a h.264 stream quick and dirty it will look ok. If you want better results, then use those cuda to hardware accelerate the decoding of streams to feed to x264. x264 does have a fast encoding times if you use the basic settings, and those can churn out h.264 streams rather quick, and look closer to the original by a large factor compared to GPU encoding.See GPU encoding can't encode 10bit, they also take short cuts on what all profiles and settings are allowed to be feed. In fact the last time I tried to use a GPU, it had no settings to change what so ever, just input, output, resolution, You couldn't even select DXVA compliant!So please be kind to your archive of high quality encodes and choose a trusted encoder front end for x264. I recommend MeGUI or Handbreak~Majorlag[/citation]

I don't even recommend MeGUI, Handbreak, or any kind of GUI. It is far more efficient to just download the latest x264 and write your own batch file and be done with it. Automated batch encoding beats manually configuring everything in a petty GUI that lacks all the granular settings.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Ok, so in the last 2 days we've been told that Borderlands 2 has PhysX and Nvidia cards can transcode video using fixed function logic.

Should we expect a third video tomorrow telling us that CUDA is a thing?

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]I don't even recommend MeGUI, Handbreak, or any kind of GUI. It is far more efficient to just download the latest x264 and write your own batch file and be done with it. Automated batch encoding beats manually configuring everything in a petty GUI that lacks all the granular settings.[/citation]

This sounds exactly like the eliteist linux douchebaggery that I was talking about in another article. It's not more efficient, it's less. You trade some of that efficiency that a GUI provides for a major loss of user friendliness and blocking off of the software to everyone that doesn't know how to write a batch file, or doesn't understand what the different encoding options of the codecs do. If *you* are able to get the job done faster not using a GUI, good for you. That doesn't mean it's more efficient for the other hundred million people using the GUIs with presets.

farensabri

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]I don't even recommend MeGUI, Handbreak, or any kind of GUI. It is far more efficient to just download the latest x264 and write your own batch file and be done with it. Automated batch encoding beats manually configuring everything in a petty GUI that lacks all the granular settings.[/citation]

sounds like a douche

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Its not CUDA. If you think this video is talking about CUDA encoding, you didnt watch it, or didnt pay attention. There is a hardware h.264 encoder built into Kepler GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.