High Ping and Latency at Night

SimpleEri

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi Everyone, any help would be appreciated
Recently my ping and latency sky rocket around 5pm - 12 am
And even during the day my ping is still not what it used to be
Ive run mulitple tests but im not sure exactly how to pinpoint the problem.
My internet allows me 100mbs download and 10 mbs upload
This issue really stands out while im playing counter strike and its frustrating
The only time i have to use the computer is between 5pm to 12 am to its starting to bother me

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I have the same issue to a lesser degree and discovered that:
1. corporations do a lot of back-end processing during this time that uses a lot of (carrier) bandwidth and
2. Your connection, regardless of the speed "promised" to you is almost certainly a shared connection with your neighbours just like a cell phone tower. So everyone of them is in a similar boat to you regarding when they can access the internet, ie, 5pm to midnight, so you are all sharing the local loop speed that you are all on.

SimpleEri

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

This is only recent though. ive never had a problem with them before
i get that it might be that however my friends who live down the street with the same ISP have no problems whatsoever

SimpleEri

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

yes im in a pretty urban area.
I did contact them, the person on the phone tested my modem/router (theyre are 2in1) by sending info to them and looking at packet loss %. She said there was no problem on their side. She did mention when i unplugged my ethernet connection that the packet loss went significantly down.
And there is a cable that connects to my modem
and im not sure, pretty sure its not

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Your tests are not showing packet loss but they do shown ping at a level you would expect to get from a ping test to the furthest point in the world you can do a ping test with and the jitter is just plain unacceptable. I am suspicious of your ISP's comment to you. I assume this must be cable TV as well? At the moment the modem/router needs to be tested, see if you can borrow a friends one.

SimpleEri

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Yeah im bundled with them, TV and Internet
Also i i thought the modem was at fault so i exchanged it for a new one, same model and the same problem occurred
at this point ive lost all hope
I dont know if this could be a problem or not but they introduced a new plan and a lot of people i assume are exchanging modems, could this cause any issues?
ANy tests i can run to help pin point a problem?
btw thank you so much for replying and helping

SimpleEri

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Yeah im bundled with them, TV and Internet
Also i i thought the modem was at fault so i exchanged it for a new one, same model and the same problem occurred
at this point ive lost all hope
I dont know if this could be a problem or not but they introduced a new plan and a lot of people i assume are exchanging modems, could this cause any issues?
ANy tests i can run to help pin point a problem?
btw thank you so much for replying and helping

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
If you get the the same results with a different modem/router there is a possibility that you have done something bad to the router so try a router reset normally \\192.168.1.1 but check manual. May also be a small button or small hole on router which does a factory reset so check. If the problem remains after a reset then the problem is 95% likely with the ISP. You need to tell them about the ping and the jitter.

Another check you can do is disconnect everything except 1 PC and redo your speed checks, you might also try OCLA tests.

SimpleEri

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Ye Ive reset it multiple times still no luck
gonna try disconnecting all the devices one by one and testing. hopefully that will fix the issue
I called them and they are sending a tech over to look at it
Im hoping that its my cable that connects to the modem because theres nothing else that can cause this
I have friends with shittier ISP having like 10 ping and im sitting here with the most well known ISP getting 70+