High Ping while using Wifi

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I'll keep this short and simple and hopefully some kind gentleman/woman can help me out.

I used to have a wired connection to my router (ASUS RT-N53, simple but works) and in Counter Strike Global Offensive I got around 25-30ms.

Now due to some re-arrangements I'm across the room from the router (don't have a long enough ethernet cord), not more than 10 feet away, yet my ping in Counter Strike is 95-110ms. I don't know why and any help would be awesome.

Thanks
-Ness

Solution
sounds about right... with wireless you'll never get as good of a ping as you do with wired.

Your best bet would be to get a long ethernet cord. They aren't very expensive.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I totally understand Wired connection will always be faster than wireless, but a 70ms difference that seems a bit extreme judging that at my old house in the country with an internet speed of 2mb/s down and being 2 floors above the router, I got 90ms. there must be some other problem or something.

Thank you for the reply though.
-Ness

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
There are lots of variables when dealing with wireless. Is your computer facing the opposite wall, so the bulk of the computer is between the adapter and the router? Or if router or computer is up against a wall or cabinet. Or other devices nearby, etc.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
actually my computer (as weird as this is) is away from the wall, and my chair is to the wall (in a corner, kinda sectioning myself off without actually being in a different room).

its just strange, that its honestly like 10 or less feet away and I'm have problems maintaining somewhat normal ping in Counter Strike. Like I said my speedtests are all normal with a ping of 30ish. I think I'm narrowing it more down to just Counter Strike and my Wifi/Wireless Adapter or something

Thanks for the replys so far :)
-Ness

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
If you can move the router one way or the other, that could help too... even a few feet one way or the other can make a difference.

Does Counter Strike have any forums? Maybe others there have had similar issues with wireless.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I will try the counter strike forums, thanks, last question/statement, My router is beside the modem (I would think that makes sense) but is also right beside a printer and a laptop (thats always on), could that interfere with the signal?

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Another thing to try, if you have an Android phone or tablet: install free app called 'Wifi Analyzer'. It can show you the wireless networks, AND their signal strength in different areas. There may be an iPhone app that is similar, but I don't know of one.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I will try the app, but always just wanted to update you that I was testing Counter Strike I rubberbanded for like half a second, and then my ping plummeted to 35 (which is better than I expected over wifi) but obviously shows a problem with I guess Counter strike. I emailed Steam support though, hopefully they can help me out, Thank you G90814.

-Ness