High pings over wifi on both 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz on two different routers

Feanor_

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
The obvious explanation would be interference. But I'm not getting any sign of unstable signal on my software wifi analyser and I can only see one other 5Ghz network which is on a different channel. I realise that doesn't necessarily mean interference isn't adding errors but the only way I could eliminate this would be an RF analyser.

My 2.4 Ghz networks are always poor though and usually quite unstable due, I think, to quite a few strong nearby networks. Until a couple of weeks ago, though, my 5Ghz network was rock solid stable and I got consistently low pings to the gateway (x.x.1.1) of <3. Weekend before last my broadband failed and my ISP replaced my main router with like-for-like so I'm wondering whether the replacement router might be faulty. Can this happen with faulty hardware?

To explain my setup, I have a simultaneous dual-band router from Telecom Italia on which I've set up the 2.4 and 5Ghz with different SSIDs to force my devices to use what used to be a much stable wifi band.

At the other end of my apartment I have an Asus RT-N16 that is connected to my main ISP router via a pair of Powerlines. This only supports 2.4 Ghz.

I am currently getting pings on my 5Ghz network that fluctuate between 1.5 and over 300; most of the time they're well over 100. On both of my 2.4 Ghz networks the pings are around 100 fairly consistently.

Until my Thunderbolt ethernet adapter arrives the only way I can do a cabled ping to the gateway is from my Asus router. This seems to be stable at around 3ms.

I have tried changing 5Ghz channels; I only have manual choice of four, however - for some reason if I want to use others I have to leave it on automatic. Changing this doesn't help.

It seems unlikely that I would be suffering non-wifi interference on both frequency bands. While it also seems unlikely that I'd have problems on both routers if one is faulty, as said I anyway have problems on the 2.4 Ghz band so I guess I could be having 2.4Ghz interference issues and 5Ghz hardware issues.

Am I missing anything? What are the chances of a faulty ISP router? I guess I can't prove it's that without another 5Ghz router to test.

Saberus

Distinguished
Have you checked for interference on both bands? how far away from each router, and what's in the way of a direct line of sight? Are there a lot of other routers showing up when you look for a connection, and are they on the same channel(s)? Location-wise, are you near any radar/radio sources (Airports, weather stations, military bases, radio towers, TV stations)?

Sometimes high or erratic pings are just part of the game with wifi, everything from solar radiation to a running microwave will tear up the signal.

Feanor_

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Thanks. Sorry forgot to say - about 2m away from router or less, direct line of sight.

As mentioned, on my software wifi analyser there are a lot of networks on the 2.4Ghz spectrum; I've picked the quietest channels but don't have much to choose from because some neighbours are hogging 40Mhz instead of using 20. There's only one other 5Ghz network I can see.
I don't think I'm near any other RF sources - I'm in the centre of Rome though so it's hard to say without a spectrum analyser.

Pings are now much better - it's 11pm - but I'm still getting jumps every couple of minutes to anything from 30 or 40 to 100 or so.