High Pitched Noise and Ram Inquiry

Jun 18, 2014
Story on how I got the PC
A few days ago my laptop's graphics decided to fail, so I did some research on what cpu+gpu+ram combo would run all my steam games with little to no issue according to game-debate website. A Dell OptiPlex 9010 MT with an i7-3770 for $180 on eBay was what I concluded, but not wanting to wait for delivery I did a search on Craigslist for the exact model and luckily someone was selling it for $170.

Meet the guy at his place but he couldn't get the computer to boot so I did some basic troubleshooting and was able to get it working. I ran some basic testing programs, checked for the meltdown spectre vulnerability. The bios log had a undefined event code 0x0380811a which I can't find what it means. So I talk the guy down to $140, he accepts. He seemed a bit sketchy to me which later turned out to right in a way. When I got home I do a full check on the computer and I find that he used autokms to activate ms office that he was offering with the PC, installed an outdated windows 10 with a timed license and had a couple viruses.
Now to the point, the Dell OptiPlex 9010 MT makes this high pitched sound when on or off, I took off the 24 pin on the mobo and the sound stops and plugged in this other psu I have and no sound even when on. So is it the psu or mobo since only when the 24 pin is connected the sound starts. I was going to replace the psu anyway for either 600 or 700 watt for a gtx 1060 6gb gpu I plan on buying and don't want to end up with hardware failure do to either piec of hardware.

Furthermore, in the dell tech guide about ram for the MT the 2x8gb combination is greyed out but not the 4x4gb. Since I plan on getting 16gb ram should I follow the guide and get 4x4gb or would getting 2x8gb not function properly since this is the first time I've seen a memory configuration option unavailable in a spec sheet.

It does support 32GB so the 8GB modules can't be the problem.
Crucial.com does offer a 2x8GB kit for that. They guarantee their kits to work.
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/optiplex-9010-%28mini-tower%29
But the safe bet is to follow the manual. I've seen things not listed that work, but to show it as specifically not working is different. It's possible a BIOS update, or chipset driver resolved whatever the issue was.
You might ask in Dell Community Forum. You get a mix of Dell Tech support and users who try unsupported setups also.
https://www.dell.com/community/Dell-Community/ct-p/English

Jun 27, 2018
I had this happen before, my psu was nearing its max lmao and everytime I would move my mouse, it would make a high pitch sound. I cut a power cable to see what watts it was using up and it wasn't really near what the psu was"certified" for, hence the purpose of why there is 80+ certification ratings on psu's lol. if I were you, at least get a 80+ cert power supply (don't buy a cheap ass psu rated at 600w, its not going to get truly 600 watts)

Jun 18, 2014
How can one know what voltages the ram slots use? Found a deal on 4x4gb ram but it's PC3L, so I wouldn't know the voltage rates supported by my mobo.

I've purchased a EVGA supernova 650w g3, it has a tough fit since it was a tad longer.